What's the next best thing to Cornish Cross?

jbofky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
My wife and I have been raising CX for a few years now and have slowly built a little business with family and friends. We're currently raising 100 for my mother(she runs a restaurant) and another 150 to sell.

To make a long story short, we need to raise another batch for my mother. She only uses them for chicken and dumplings so they can be a little tougher than CX. She likes for them to be 5+lbs dressed.

I've not had good luck with CX in high heat/humidity we have here in the summer. What would the next best breed after CX? I'm looking for:
  • 4-6+lbs dressed weight
  • 16 weeks or less
  • Best possible feed conversion
I've heard of Freedom Rangers, Kosher Kings, Welp Slow Cornish, Murray McMurray Cornish Roasters, Black Broilers, Red Broilers, etc. Welp and McMurray claim that their "slow" broilers are pretty much like the CX just grow a little slower. If I can find a breed that would be tender enough for grilling and dress around 4lbs, I may changed over to them exclusively and leave the CX behind. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Those breeds would be slower than 16 weeks wouldn't they?

Does anyone have any feedback on the other meat breeds that I mentioned?

Last edited:
The only one on your list I have raised are Freedom Rangers. No health issues with them at all. I butchered them at 12-13 weeks of age. Weights ranged from 3.5 lbs-6 lbs dressed. Still tender enough for grilling, roasting, broiling and whatever you normally would do with young chicken.

Hatchery dual purpose cockerels will take longer and won't have as much meat as a broiler type. Good for soup though.

Thanks for all of the help! Does anyone have experience with the Cornish roasters or slow Cornish? If they are like the hatcheries claim, it looks like they would be better than the Rangers.

You can use Mcmurray Cornish Roasters, Welp Slow White Broilers, Stromberg's Slow Grow Cornish Cross, White Dorkings, White Jersey Giants, or my personal choice if you could get your hands on them, White Bresse.

I don't have chickens, but to help you I've read from experienced people to salvage that info. They all make pretty good Broilers, no colored pin feathers, and all pretty good White Broilers.

Back
Top Bottom