What's the next HOT breed/color?

Quote:
Icelandics are "landrace fowl." You could research, and you could also read the "Icelandic Chickens" thread and learn about them.
wink.png

Last edited:
Yes, at first glance, to the untrained eye, Icelandic's do look a bit like "Hodgepodge Mutts". But that's what separates the serious breeder and aficionado from the casual and novice observer!
wink.png
Talk to serious and dedicated breeders of these fowl and you'll soon learn a great deal as to what sets the Icelandic apart from all other chickens and why they are worthy of preservation. Talk about a LONG history!

Jeff, you totally crack me up sweetie!
gig.gif
hugs.gif
Thanks for keeping the humor tap wide open!
happy-smiley-643.gif

Quote:
It is?
hu.gif

You should apply for a job at Mizzu or ISA. They spend years trying to squeeze out another dozen or so eggs per year and if you find that an easy thing to do they will definitely want to hire you.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Jeff made a very good point. It depends on what you want. Privett and Decorah Rocks probably wouldn't win a show; but they can sure lay.

I understand very well a point made earlier about getting two very dark eggs a week versus getting more that are lighter. The problem with the very dark eggs is that pigment gland can only be so large, and can only produce limited amounts of pigment. If you breed for the darkest eggs, you breed away from higher production. The major brown pigment results from the breakdown of hemoglobin; the blue and green are a byproduct from the formation of bile.

Quote:
Really?!?! Wow! I did NOT know that! Hey! I learnt somethin' new today!
thumbsup.gif

How cool thanks for the info on egg pigmentation there yakima a little off topic(well not really Id reckon) for the thread but I finally got something out of it besides a hard-time for sure.
lol.png

blaundee I was'nt criticizing at all I WAS merely trying an effort in generating a topic on which could be interesting between us but that failed,obviously.
hmm.png
I guess I spilled my own milk on this thread
idunno.gif
it should be very interesting to see what is posted here if it ever gets off the ground.

Jeff

I still think Beige and enhance Champagne will be the next HOT thing...

Beige silkie project
BeigPullet2.jpg

Champagne(could be further enhanced by Mahogany to give it a nice peachy color)
55238_champagne.jpg
Lavenderbuffcolumbian.jpg

and I believe Chocolate Barred Rocks could also be a big hit

my friend's Chocolate cuckoo maran project
Cookie-Chocolate-Marans.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
NICE color Brahmas!
I hatched out a Dun Cuckoo pullet who is growing out. I am waiting to see how she finishes up. She came from the same 2 hens who threw my Rosecomb Cuckoo bantams.

Back
Top Bottom