What's the problem with hens sleeping in the nesting box?

I am another that doesn't mind where mine sleep, but all but one of mine sleeps on the roost bar. One that gets picked on a lot sleeps on top of the nesting boxes. We had two that slept in nesting boxes at one time, but when new ones were introduced and they all slept on the roost, they decided that was the cool thing to do and join them.
I never had problems with poop covered eggs when they did.

Can't say that's been any kind of problem. By the time I'm collecting eggs the hens are usually done with the nesting boxes and I can see what I'm reaching for. Or, if someone's still laying, I let them finish and go back later.

My nesting boxes are on the exterior of the coop with a top-lifting lid. The top-lifting thing is sorta a PITA. Sometimes I'm balancing it on my head while my arms are reaching in for eggs but at least I can see very clearly what's going on in there.

I can also see my Orp's poo. I just pick it up with a bit of the shavings around it and fling it back into the deep litter. No particular issue when it's well formed and already dried out a bit.
My nests are made out of an old kitchen drawers, so they’re incredibly deep (unreasonably deep, I’ve stuck a cinderbrick in the back of the bottom one so I can actually reach the eggs without having to sit/lay down) they’re inside the coop, and have roosts in front of them too... I feel like a spy in a laser maze trying to grab eggs at night.
FE880210-126C-4B96-933D-3C0B8624A8B0.jpeg

I know how I could move the nests for easier access, but right now I don’t have the things I’d need to do so. or, if I could get some free cabinets or drawers, I could make more and subtract depth as I go. But for now, I’ll have to kick my hens out of the nests at night and hope it’s an egg I’m feeling...:fl

I’d say it’s personally up to you, my Silkies don’t have roosts because they don’t use them. Some sleep in the main body of the coop whereas some sleep in the nest boxes.

My birds don’t really make any mess in them so it doesn’t bother me. However, if non of your chickens lay in there anyways then there isn’t really any risk of getting poopy eggs.

The only thing I could see it doing is potentially increasing her chances of being broody and more likely to end up with mites gathering in that area.

I’d just add some extra mite power in the bedding where she sleeps to stop the warmth attracting anything unwanted.

Personally, I see no issue if she’s determined to sit on the bottom out of the way of the others. Just be ready if she does go broody to give her eggs or break her :)
I live in Canada and we have had some cold snaps. My two hens have taken to sleeping in their nesting box also. It is long with lots of straw to snuggle down in. I have let them stay there for the winter as it is warmer but plan to start closing the nesting door at night when the weather turns warmer. It is easier for me for cleaning also so it is a win-win for me and the girls. I do have a sprinkling of DE also and make sure it is cleaned every day for cleanliness and smell.

Is this a problem I need to solve or just choice I can live with?

To me it is totally your choice. I don't know of anything unhealthy about chickens sleeping in nests other than potentially poopy eggs. Don't let poop build up to the point it stays wet, just like everywhere else. I personally don't allow it since all my nests get used but if you can live with it, it's up to you.

I don't even consider poopy eggs that unhealthy as long as I don't leave them overnight. I wash those off, store them in the fridge, and eat them myself. I do not give those away to others or hatch them.

We have one that does the same thing!! we pull her out every night but she may go back in after we leave. sometimes we block it off and open it in the morning before they start laying. the problem isn’t that the eggs themselves are poopy, but we have a roll away egg box and will end up with big clumps of poop in it, so it’s just annoying to collect the eggs/clean out all the time.

Back
Top Bottom