What's the rarest breed or variety you have?

I hate that they called them "Frost" white. šŸ¤£ What does "Frost" even mean?! They're just recessive white birds. I love them because they're still autosexing, but none of the color and pattern drama that I get with the gold and cream and none of the feather issues that I get with lavender. I can focus fully on production qualities and type. I'll try to find some photos later.

"Frost" White always bugged me, too! But, of course, I'm kinda bugged by a lot of those 'designer' names like Favaucana, Midnight Majesty Marans, Plymouth Blues, etc... All supposed to be catchy, but in the end just confusing for no reason. Frost White is especially rank, though, because as you said... they're just White Legbars. :confused:

And Plymouth Barred Rock. That is my biggest pet peeve with breeds! Anyone who advertises their Barred Plymouth Rocks as 'Plymouth Barred Rocks' is just straight up telling me they don't know a darn thing about their own breed. :rant

Whoops, sorry, I got on a bit of a rant! šŸ¤­ Anyway, no pressure for photos or anything if you can't find them, I just love staring at / drooling over gorgeous birds. šŸ˜

Here's one of my pairs. I have two pens this year, a pair and a trio. We're looking for better width and toplines and better growth rates on the chicks. For some reason, they seem to grow slower than my cream chicks even though they're from the same lines.

272246174_10159873103448827_5192662578066024689_n.jpg
277110393_10159993629313827_8462734281329558259_n.jpg

Our rarest breed is Dominiques, four pullets and a cockerel. Here's what I found about them:

Dominiques are considered a "heritage" breed of chicken in that they've been around for hundreds of years and are now critically endangered. Some people can't tell the difference between a Dominique and a Barred Rock, but the trained eye will notice that Dominques have a rose comb versus the Barred Rock's single comb.

Source: MyPetChicken.com

We chose this breed partly for their striped good looks and camouflage (we free range our flock part of the day), and partly for that rose comb, which is virtually impervious to frostbite. They are calm and personable, and forage well. They are also sexable at hatch.
My Granny calls them "dominickers" šŸ˜‚ She's so funny šŸ’œ
I did not know they were sex able at hatch! That's always a plus! (but I guess Barred Rocks are too, so it's making sense now that I've actually thought about it)

Nn .. not rare, but the ones with a nice full front beard is hard to find. I hatched her. View attachment 3111422
Pretty! My NN hen is crossed with Cochin. She's a big girl! Her feathering looks similar to yours. I always thought the full loose feathering was from the Cochin but maybe I'm wrong. Does your hen go broody often? That's another thing I assumed my hen got from her Cochin genes. Don't you just love how they raise their head feathers since they don't have hackles? I think that's my favorite thing about them. It's so adorable whenever they raise those head feathers šŸ˜ My hen is black šŸ–¤ Do you have a full body picture of her? I'd love to see it if so.

Sort of, though the Opals I've seen have a sort of smoky color to them. If I remember right, the genetics for Opals are related to Fawn and Khaki as they're both mutations of dominant white. šŸ˜Š

Edit, whoops, I meant dominant white, not recessive! :th I'm wrong anyway, though, because Opal is a mutant of recessive white, probably why I mistyped this originally!

Yeah, I know, but that's the variety name for your slate-legged girl, I promise! They are called Black Breasted Red because the males have a black breast and are mostly red otherwise.

Being TSC quality explains the leg color discrepancy. I've seen a lot of slate-legged OEGBs that came from TSC recently!
Yep! My hatchery stock Splash breasted red OEGB hen has the correct leg color but she has blue earlobes, just like my Dutch Bantams šŸ’™ She's also extremely tiny in comparison to my other two OEGB hens. The other two hens are a Red Pyle and a Self Blue. My OEGB roosters are BB Red, Gold Duckwing (I believe), and a Black Mottled. I LOVE OEGB so much! My Red Pyle hen crows and it's absolutely adorable šŸ’œ

Yep! My hatchery stock Splash breasted red OEGB hen has the correct leg color but she has blue earlobes, just like my Dutch Bantams šŸ’™ She's also extremely tiny in comparison to my other two OEGB hens. The other two hens are a Red Pyle and a Self Blue. My OEGB roosters are BB Red, Gold Duckwing (I believe), and a Black Mottled. I LOVE OEGB so much! My Red Pyle hen crows and it's absolutely adorable šŸ’œ
Can I see the splash breasted red?

Back
Top Bottom