What's the rarest breed or variety you have?

Pics
Silver Braekel, ~5 months old : ) He's still growing out his roo feathers. Originally thought he was a Campine when he was younger, but nope we can see now he's def a Braekel!

Trying to find him a home though
Edit: found him an amazing dream home lol, yipee!

Attachments

• 276155270_150518214132756_9161796489375830177_n.jpg
    276155270_150518214132756_9161796489375830177_n.jpg
    845.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 278235176_148099747707936_7295223962190943243_n.jpg
    278235176_148099747707936_7295223962190943243_n.jpg
    999 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Can I see the splash breasted red?
These pictures are from her younger days. I had them in my "BYC Share" album for color identification. I'll dig deeper into other albums for a more recent picture or get a new one tomorrow. I have a Splash breasted red Dutch Bantam too so it's easy to confuse them in pictures. She's just a little over two years old and just went broody for the first time. No eggs for her though. She's probably the smallest bird I have but definitely the loudest 😍 She looks so different now.
20200502_111120.jpg

20200319_164559.jpg

20200420_125016.jpg

These pictures are from her younger days. I had them in my "BYC Share" album for color identification. I'll dig deeper into other albums for a more recent picture or get a new one tomorrow. I have a Splash breasted red Dutch Bantam too so it's easy to confuse them in pictures. She's just a little over two years old and just went broody for the first time. No eggs for her though. She's probably the smallest bird I have but definitely the loudest 😍 She looks so different now.
View attachment 3116917
View attachment 3116918
View attachment 3116921
She's pretty. What hatchery did she come from?

She's pretty. What hatchery did she come from?
Thank you 💜 Of course I agree with you. She's certainly a sweet little beauty. I think she came from Privett because I got my Pyncheon at the same time. @RoostersAreAwesome helped me with the color identification and that girl wasn't as easy as the others. I also had a Blue Breasted Red OEGB hen and it seems like roostersareawesome determined that this one was splash breasted red because of the BBS rules. Since then I ended up with a splash breasted red Dutch Bantam. If you couldn't see the Dutch hens beautiful blue legs, you'd have to look twice because they favor so much.

My Granny calls them "dominickers" 😂 She's so funny 💜
I did not know they were sex able at hatch! That's always a plus! (but I guess Barred Rocks are too, so it's making sense now that I've actually thought about it)

I've noticed a lot of the older chickening crowd in my area refers to anything barred like that as a 'Dominecker', including Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans. 😅

As for being sexable at hatch, that's not 100% and really depends on the line the birds come from. If bred for, it's usually a strong trait in a line, but if not selected for it can become foggy and inaccurate.

Yep! My hatchery stock Splash breasted red OEGB hen has the correct leg color but she has blue earlobes, just like my Dutch Bantams 💙 She's also extremely tiny in comparison to my other two OEGB hens. The other two hens are a Red Pyle and a Self Blue. My OEGB roosters are BB Red, Gold Duckwing (I believe), and a Black Mottled. I LOVE OEGB so much! My Red Pyle hen crows and it's absolutely adorable 💜

Yeah, the earlobe color is a tough one. Mine are from show-quality stock and some have light earlobes, too. 😬 But I love them anyway! 🥰 Some of my girls have crowed as well and it really is the cutest thing!

Good old Dominickers and Legerns

Well... technically.... 'Legern' actually is the proper pronunciation of the breed... 🤐

Probably Diamond doves, more uncommon than rare but still the least common I have, I only have 2 females at the moment but I hope to find some males soon and start breeding myself a nice little flock of them :)
(Not my photo, but this is what they look like for those who don't know)
View attachment 3116938
So cute! I wish I could have an aviary full of little Diamonds, but it gets to cold here

They're actually named after a port city in Italy, Livorno. I really don't know where the spelling or how we pronounce the name comes from, but 'Leggern' does somewhat resemble 'Livorn', so maybe it's just as simple as that?
Yes Italian, not French. Sorry, I hadn't had enough coffee yet.

Back
Top Bottom