What's the rarest breed or variety you have?

Thank you. Where can I find them?
You would have to locate a breeder.

You could try looking at the most recent pages at the end of the thread, and see who mentions actually having some, and asking them if they have any available. You could also search the buy/sell/trade section of the forum to see if anyone has some listed.

You could also do searches on the internet, to see if any breeders have websites, or facebook pages, or something like that.

Last edited:
You would have to locate a breeder.

You could looking at the most recent pages at the end of the thread, and see who mentions actually having some, and asking them if they have any available. You could also search the buy/sell/trade section of the forum to see if anyone has some listed.

You could also do searches on the internet, to see if any breeders have websites, or facebook pages, or something like that.
Thanks. I didn't even know abput them until today. They seem like very beautiful birds.

I'm working on getting a red pyle oegb flock going, not a common colour but I will say it cool seeing a pyncheon breeder here. I was wondering if my chances of every getting some was gone with Rusty (I hope I got his name right) seemingly not active online anymore.

How do you make a new breed or color to a breed like that?

Do you just mix a breed + a color you want til you get what you like or is there more to it then that?
I plan out the crosses using my knowledge of genetics. I recreated Welbars here in the US about 10 years ago, so I know how to keep them autosexing. I have a line of Opal Legbars, which are isabel crele, so I used them in my initial cross. Egg color was too light of course, and I had to breed them back to pure gold Welbars to try to get that back. In that process, I recovered most of the Welsummer type and lost the crest from the Legbars. The birds are lovely now, but until my current pullets started laying I was disappointed in the egg color. The F3's are split for lavender and now full mature. They are laying huge eggs in dark green and a medium brown. The F4's finally started to lay. Here is a pick of my 4 dark layer breeds. It is pretty easy to pick out the newly laying pullet egg on the left, by size alone.
The others are Lavender Marans, Welbar, Copper Marans. I hope to get to the Welbar color and this pullet is getting close, but the Welbars are second year hens that have been laying for weeks and are still a bit darker, to my eye.
Eggs-20230215.jpg

Here is a pic of the pullet a month or so ago. She has filled out a bit more and has salmon in her breast, as she should.
IsabelCreleWelsummer.jpg

Silver Braekel, ~5 months old : ) He's still growing out his roo feathers. Originally thought he was a Campine when he was younger, but nope we can see now he's def a Braekel!

Trying to find him a home though
Edit: found him an amazing dream home lol, yipee!
Where did you get him from? I had to rehome my Silver Braekel years ago because my kids were young and he was getting aggressive with them. He was a gorgeous bird though his tail looked different than yours. I'd guess yours was a campine by the hen feathering. Regardless, my Braekel had a daughter with one of our red sexlinks. She's now in her 6th year and still lays a large egg every other day...sometimes every day....even in the winter. She's survived a opossum and a racoon attack. She is so resilient and I adore her and wish I could get more of the Braekels. I heard that Greenfire's breeding stock was taken out by a bobcat or some other wild cat and it's been harder and harder to find anyone that has them. So if I'm mistaken about your boy's tail, I'd love to know where he came from! šŸ˜

Back
Top Bottom