Whats the right breed for me???

monstR98

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 29, 2014
I am new to the chicken idea, but i have been around chickens and have narrowed down the specifications.
I want a chicken that is docile (i want to pick them up and hold them fairly eaisly) and i want brown eggs, i know their is no real diffrence bettween the color of eggs. Also i want a good egg production, and a good looking chocken breed. any info helps.

Thank you,
-monstR

Last edited:
My personal favorite chicken that fits your requirements is the Wyandotte. Mine have been docile and quite personable. They have been great layers, laying over 250 eggs each in their first year. Even now, when they are almost 4 years old, they're still laying quite well. Wyandottes come in many beautiful color varieties.My Wyandottes have done well in 100 degree temperatures, and also in below 0 temperatures.

Black Sex Links are docile, hardy, and friendly egg laying machines. I've raised them for years, and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out over 300 eggs per hen per year. However, if you prefer a standard breed as BSLs are hybrids and won't breed true, I would suggest Black Australorps. They are extremely hardy. I've raised them where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (123 F once), and in both climate extremes they came through like troopers. BAs are also calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I've had a few of them lay more than 300 eggs in a year. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom