What's the secret on how to deal with weeds in the garden? Can't seem to keep them under control.

I can't add much. But will just further encourage you to mulch. Apart from it's other good points, it does help with the weeds IF you stay on top of it and keep it thick.....and pull out any persistent ones that manage to keep pocking through. it wasn't the magical solution like I htought it would be from reading around, but it was okay. Plastic mulches, ground cove fabrics..now that's what I'm talking about! No work after the initial application. Oh, and keep the area around mowed to reduce weed seeds.

Ok weeds are a problem and while there is a lot you can do to stop them if you are growing veg it is very hard to get away without having to get down and dirty. But....i think its how you look at it. If you let them grow enough to get a hold on them and you wait until the ground is damp it can be quite therapeutic and peaceful if you settle down with a cushion under your knees and methodically pick away.... all the time feeling that every weed you pick is a relief to your veg and feeding your veg.
Of course then there is the other way to look at it.
By plucking those suckers out you are satisfying that inner instinct in all of us to kill so when you pluck it out you can feel that adrenalin as if you are on the battlefield and are swathing your way through the enemy..... I kind of get both of those feelings at the same time.

Ok weeds are a problem and while there is a lot you can do to stop them if you are growing veg it is very hard to get away without having to get down and dirty. But....i think its how you look at it. If you let them grow enough to get a hold on them and you wait until the ground is damp it can be quite therapeutic and peaceful if you settle down with a cushion under your knees and methodically pick away.... all the time feeling that every weed you pick is a relief to your veg and feeding your veg.
Of course then there is the other way to look at it.
By plucking those suckers out you are satisfying that inner instinct in all of us to kill so when you pluck it out you can feel that adrenalin as if you are on the battlefield and are swathing your way through the enemy..... I kind of get both of those feelings at the same time.

I call it positive destruction.

"Weed Control" .... it's called that for a reason! We able to control but not much more. There are billions of weed seeds in your soil, they generally germinate in the top 1/4" to 1/2' inch of soil. Whenever you till or cultivate, you bring more seeds up into that range.

Skimming over this thread it looks like these folks have hit on just about every technique that I'm aware of. Nothing is 100%....you're always gonna have to pull some by hand. Don't know where you are located but if you're in an arid region, don't water what you don't want to grow, use soaker hoses or drip. Prespout sprout in the spring before planting, water, weed, water, weed again.

Solarization was mentioned & it works very well but you have to be able to take the plot out of production for 60 to 90 days. I often use it before planting a perennial crop then mulch with straw or leaves. Mulching also makes the weeds easier to pull.

I also mulch with cardboard that I've saved over the course of the year as I don't have the patience to mess around will newspaper, then cut holes & plant seedlings. These two won't work if you're dealing with Burmuda grass in my experience, as it just goes nuts under there, better to be able to see & deal with it.

If you can't beat it, eat it! Some of these things are edible, if not for you then perhaps livestock.

Thanks for the information! Ill give it a shot.
The squash grew over the peppers.
I plant squash, pumpkins, melons, squashes ect in the corners of the raised beds, usually on the north side of the beds. They will travel south (following the sun) after they get started I train thm outside the beds and the pin then to the walkways using landscaping pins. This also prevents watering from knocking off the blossoms and later helps keep the fruit dry.

And, in case it was not mentioned, if the weeds get ahead of you for a while when you get the chance to go back to weeding ry to concentrate on getting the ones that are flowering (or showing seed pods) first. This way at least you will get to then before they go to seed.

Last edited:
Quote:
I would take a gander at www.backtoedenfilm.com. There is a documentary on there about gardening (and it's free)! They discuss weeds and how to deal with them in the format they garden. It's a fascinating idea and we are trying it at our house. I will try to remember to let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom