1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the smallest breed of chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sarakala, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Sarakala

Sarakala New Egg

Oct 28, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I was just wondering what's the smallest breed of chicken. I'm very fond of Silkies (Iknow they are very small too). Similar looks would be nice. Thanks ahead of time.

2. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    serma I belieave they are less than a pound

3. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    showgirls look just like silkies but they have a neked neck...that doasnt have any feathers in that area...or fuzz...

4. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Seramas are they smallest, but they are not recognized by the APA.
    Dutch or Japanese are next in the running, and they are recognized by the APA. Moderns too.

5. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    After watching my recessive gene frizzles I was wondering if anyone breed thier chickens to be tiny on purpose? A miniture polish would be awesome. I know they have bantam polishes, I am talking one 6 inchs high (or smaller)! If they can do it with dogs I am sure you could pull it off with a chicken....

My frizzle vultures are about 6 inches high about 7 inches long if that, they are tiny birds. Still have a little room to grow thou...

Bubba

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I believe that's how Seramas came to be... at least that's what I read [​IMG] He kept the smallest and kept breeding until he got them extra small. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. A trait is a trait.... if you select for a certain trait, you can eventually get it to stick [​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yea, I have 3 Japanese and they are pretty small. Smaller than any of the bantams that I have now.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I would vote the Serama's I ahve two in my bator right now and they run around 300 grams for an A and about 400 grams for a B! SO cute.

9. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Dutch is the correct answer according to Bantam standard. If you are going by weight. Height might be a different answer............

10. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Seramas are the worlds smallest chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by