What's The "Smartest" Thing You've Seen a Chicken Do?

Quote:
The youtube videos from those animal training seminars are really interesting. In the same seminars they also teach chickens to go through agility courses. Here is a link to someone from Eastern Europe who trained a chicken to complete a very similar agility course.

When I bring out treats, if Silver sees that there is a banana in the bowl, she will immediately run to the farthest corner of the run and make the "YUMYUMYUM oh you cant have what I have" call.,and drop a piece of bark/twig/rock/whatever on the ground. So, all the girls run over to see what she has found, Silver says "Oh noes..." and pretends that she dropped the goodie and runs away. She then sneaks behind them and grabs the banana first out of the bowl while they look around for whatever invisible treat she dropped:)

She does this every time...and the other girls have not figured out that she really doesn't have anything to show them when she does that lol

I have a 10 week old silkie chick that was injured by a larger chick. She was exhibiting neurologic symptoms so I brought her in the house for recuperation. Since she wasn't physically injured, once she was stable, I would put her out in our small enclosed backyard that I use for a chick grow out pen. The come in at night. During this hospitalization, Wiggles would play with her new buddies, two 7 week old polish chicks. They became great friends. When it was time to go back to the coop, Wiggles was immediately accepted back in by her silkie buddies. However, she found her way back into the small yard with the polish the next day. I looked everywhere to figure out where she managed to get in...the big chickens yard and the grow out yard share a fence..I didn't want the big guys to get in to the babies. I still have not managed to figure out how she gets in but this is day 5 and she still continues to spend her evenings and nights with the big chickens and her days with her polish friends!

I was really worried about her ability to cope since she exhibited signs of a brain injury..but, even with a slight head wiggle (thus the name) she managed to figure out how to get to her buddies! Now I'm not so worried about her living a normal life!

Another tricky chicken! I would say that Silver the hen is very clever.

Regarding Wiggles, she figured out how to get back and forth so evidently silkies are not dumb like some people say.

My BO follows me right out of her run, through the garden, across the patio and into the garage and stands there, looks up at the meal worm farm, back at me, back at the farm and then clucks. Like MOM, I want some meal worms please. I know they are in there but I can't get the lid open.

scratch'n'peck :

Quote:
The youtube videos from those animal training seminars are really interesting. In the same seminars they also teach chickens to go through agility courses. Here is a link to someone from Eastern Europe who trained a chicken to complete a very similar agility course.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!!​

i have saw my game rooster fight a hawk over it killing my baby chicks and won
cool.png

Quote:
That's amazing!
ep.gif
The counting to ten bit really impresses me, since I've read that Alex the parrot, once called the most intelligent bird on Earth, only managed to count to seven. A chicken being able to outcount him is one heck of a feat! Mind if I ask how you teach them to count? I'd love to try to do it myself!

The smartest bird story I have was when I had my Phoenix cockerel, Fawkes, in the house for a bit when he had a respiratory infection. The first day he came home, we ordered pizza and ended up tossing him bits straight from the box. The next week, we ordered pizza again on a whim. As my mom was bringing the box into the family room to share, Fawkes jumped straight up onto the box my mom was carrying! He had to be penned up of course, but it amazed everyone that he recognized the box after only seeing it once, and remembered what it meant after a week!

Back
Top Bottom