What's The "Smartest" Thing You've Seen a Chicken Do?

a fellow dog trainer gets a couple hens a year (That she sneakily keeps in town) and clicker trains them. I have told my kids they can train the chickens- it keeps them away from wrecking my obedience dogs- who knows maybe if i get time i'll teach them to do something. We run flyball together sometimes... she's trained her chickens how to play flyball- mini jumps- mini box- mini ball wish she had a vid of it

hers at the beach with the dogs
261697_10150229050455286_540870285_7776096_352032_n.jpg

Some hens I had before were master escape artists and they kept getting out of their pen even when there was no way they could go under or over(their wings were clipped) Everyday I would come home to find all of my hens outside scratching happily and the pen still closed....So one day we watched them the whole day from the window and were shocked to find out how they got out....All of them, there were around 10, would jump on to the chicken wire and make it lean down towards the yard then they would climb up it and jump off into the yard....Crazy girls haha

Most of my hens know how to peck a straw to get a reward(such as bread or sunflower seed). Red, one of my two Isa Brown hens is a very eager student and learns quickly. She knows how to peck a piece of cloth a few feet away from me to get food(along with pecking the straw to get food). I plan on teaching her more advanced tricks.
smile.png

I watched Stan the Man show his sisters how to stand on large strand of grass and tear off a bite-sized piece to swallow.

57171_img_4071.jpg

57171_img_4076.jpg

Quote:
That's really really smart - learned cooperative behaviour. Not so good for your garden though.
roll.png
This thread is fantastic, I'm really enjoying it.

Quote:
That's really really smart - learned cooperative behaviour. Not so good for your garden though.
roll.png
This thread is fantastic, I'm really enjoying it.

It was really smart of them hehe. I had to get rid of them since my dad got mad they were destroying his garden. But we quickly filled out our flock again and this time we made sure the posts with the chicken wire were nice and sturdy haha!

Back
Top Bottom