Whats the squatting about.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by burntmuch, Aug 12, 2010.

1. burntmuch

burntmuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    Ive got 7 Isa browns that just started laying. Awesome. Kinda neat when one comes out of the coop cackling away. You know she just laid an egg. Well my question is now when I aproach one of the hens they do the squat. & shuffle their feet. They look like their scared to death. Is this normal. Thanks Jay

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    They are crouching because they want to be bred by a rooster. [​IMG]

3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My hen Thalia did that to me when I go to pick her up. She squats and shakes, and shuffles her feet. Almost like she's scared of me... We do have a roo, but she only started this behavior after she started to lay.

4. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    they're sexually mature, and they see you as their rooster and are submitting to you.

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I have three chickens hat have been laying for just over a week. I used to pick them up all of the time but now whenever they think I am about to pick them up, they crouch down and stick out their wings a bit. I think they are a bit sensitive since they started laying and don't want to be picked up.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's the submissive pose, the one they use for the rooster so he can mount 'em. Those girls are showing you YOU are The Boss. I get it too. I find it adorable.

What I do is give them a loving little skritch on the back of the neck and down between their shoulderblades, then pat them on their backs. When I stop, they stand back up, shake their feathers and go on their way.

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Folks - that 's what hens do when they are breeding. they squat, spread wings and submit to the roo. It's typical, regular, normal hen behavior.

8. kajhurley

kajhurley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Does that mean that your roo's are not mating them??

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:No, it means that the pullets/hens equate the Person with "Status As High As A Rooster" - it's merely a submissive pose.

My rooster mounts and treads all my girls, their eggs are fertilized, and yet they still squat/submit for me, too.

10. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    thanks gryeyes, I am going to do that too. It will make me feel good now instead of feeling like they no longer like me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by