Whats the STORY behind your interesting CHICKEN NAMES?

I read Jurassic Park & the Lost World before i got my new birds, and Alan Grant was my fav character, so I named one roo Grant.
I used to watch sonic, and remembered how mean shadow was, so I named the mean roo Shadow.
The other roo is Alan.... from alan grant origin... lol
and the deceaced roo was Ian, Another of my fav JP characters, and I have too many look-aloke pullets to name, so the only one I named was Chick-chick, cuz thats what my mom called her when she was injured and we put her in isolation...

Dot, because as a chick she had a dot on her head
Brucilla, she was the biggest chick
Lucy, because she was red
Max was originally Mary, then Mary Martin, but he's just Max now
3 leghorns that I still can't tell apart
3 RIR that I still can't tell apart
I have names for them, but don't want to offend anyone
Rosie, her comb and wattles turned rosie first
Gorgeous, she is
Goldie, her breast is gold
Pretty too, because she is

lol!!
lau.gif

My guys are:

General tso
Chicken nugget
Colonel Sanders
Teriyaki
Extra Crispy
Deep fried
McGrilled
Drumstick

I like to keep it funny. They are chickens after all. No serious names.

I have
Nugget....... BO roo
KFC........ RIR hen
White........Leghorn hen
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.........cornish cross
Bug........amercauna roo (he eats lots of bugs according to my five year old)
Mack..........Pekin Drake (as big as a mack truck according to the same five year old)
Stoplight.......Runner hen (we were sitting at a stoplight next to the feedstore we bought them at)

I also have four alpacas all boys named John, Paul, George, and Ringo, their hair looks like the beetles

I named mine so I could remember their breeds...Easter Egger is Cadbury, Australorp is Waltzing Matilda, Silver laced Wyandotte is Princess (because she looks like she's dressed for the prom) and the Partridge Couchin is Shirley Partridge. We're getting two new chicks in a month...Summer the Welsummer and Maranda the Cuckoo Maran.

This little guy is named Vegas (one with his head to the camera ) because he/she beat the odds of hatching...the bator got turned up to 112 for 3 hours the day before hatch date by some little 9 year old fingers...I figured they were all dead, pitched em in the trash..then thought maybe I should candle those...got him out of the trash and lo and behold there was movement..Vegas was born 3 days past hatch date on 1-20-12 peeping loud and clear!

I am new to chickens and was told that if I ever wanted to consider eating the chickens not to give them names. Not knowing where the chicken raising was headed, I tried to not name them. BUT there was one, a BR who was always doing her own thing.

She was not a leader, the others would chastise her for her actions, but days later would be doing what she had done. She was the one who decided that she could sleep near the dog crate, not in it each night, so I had to put her in. She was the one who flew out over the 5 foot chain link fence, she was the one who had to have her butt washed...What earned her a name finally was that she would peck my Jean clad leg every chance she got. Only when I wore jeans, and it would startle me and sometimes hurt. So we finally had a talk about how she seemed to be a nice girl, but the pecking had to stop, or she might find herself in the stewpot.

She remains an individual, and she rarely pecks, but will forever be Stewpot.

we had a rooster named uno. he had one of his wings ripped of by one of the dogs.
he have a rooster named romeo. when we got him he kept kissing everyone. he also has a Juliette.
we also have a little couple named narcissus and echo. when they were in the house they would always look at themselves in the mirror for hours. one turned out to be a hen and another as a rooster.

I have:

Sam and Gilly - an Australorp and a Red Sex-Link respectively, we got them together so we went with two names that suited each other. If you're a Game of Thrones fan, then you should get the reference... ;)

Hatake - she's a Coronation Sussex, so all white bar a silver/grey ring around her neck, some tail feathers and under her wings. Hatake is the last name of one of my favourite anime characters, Kakashi Hatake, who has a shock of silver/grey/white hair. Hatake also means 'field' in Japanese. Kind of fitting to have an agricultural name for a chicken, yeah?

Uhura - my Gold-Laced Wyandotte. Uhura is a character from Star Trek - although the character's name of 'Uhura' was originally based on the Swahili word 'uhuru', meaning 'freedom'. Which is fitting as my little GLW is a bit of a flighty one who does her best to be an escape artist every time the run/coop door is opened.

Mustard - my partner's ISA Brown, named because he has an insane love of mustard and has been known to eat it from the jar. We currently have eight varieties of mustard in the house right now. I had been talking about how hungry I was on the way back from picking up the two new chicks and how I was going to make a sandwich with sour cream and mayonnaise, and he exclaimed how much he loved mustard. Then, in his next breath, "Mustard! That's her name!"

Dori - You've got the roll the 'r' and sounds like a cross between 'Tori' and 'Dolly', but said fast. It's supposed to sound Korean-esque, my partner actually stole the name from my Korean friend's dog's name because he thought it was adorable and would suit a Polish hen. Which our Dori is.

Last edited:
Back in Ohio we had a Cochin mix named Dum-dum chicken. S/he had problems hatching and almost died. I got what seemed to be brain damaged from that. It didn't grow right , feather out right , had a odd top of the head ... the name dum-dum chicken just seemed to fit. One day he(as we found out by the feathers) ran against a rock and died.

Back
Top Bottom