Whats the STORY behind your interesting CHICKEN NAMES?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladydoc1992, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ladydoc1992

ladydoc1992 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartsville, SC
    Just had 4 tiny Seramas eggs in incubator.. grabbed up 2 eggs in one hand that had pipped ,but never zipped, to check if they were still alive. DROPPED ONE ON THE FLOOR!! It broke into a bunch of pieces, but the little chick somehow survied the whole ordeal. Guess what I named him???

HUMPTY DUMPTY!! lol

Got an interesting story behind a chicken name?

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a chicken named poopie because everytime u hold her she will poop on u. happens everytime. i dnt think sje likes to be held. and its always horrible poop too. soo thats where she gets her name

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    None of my bird's names have a back story [​IMG]. My ferret is named after a character from skins because of the personality similarities.

4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    We used to have a rooster named 'Bobo' Which means - clown, silly, stupid etc.

Why? Because when he was a baby he would stray from his mom and squeeze through
    the wire into a fence will two young roosters and get stuck. [​IMG]

5. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    We really like to name our chicks names that are specifically one gender or another. Then when we figure out gender we morph the names.
    examples...

Balto became Baltadina
    Max became Maxine
    Ruby became Rudy
    Sparkle became Spike
    Mo became Monique
    Curly stayed Curly
    Larry became Laquisha
    Dawn became Don
    Princess Buttercup...well she stayed the same too.
    and on and on. [​IMG]

It makes for fun names when you have to get creative and change the name to suit the chicken's gender.

6. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    We came up with GREAT names for our chickens BUT our Step son just HAD to name his chicken something stupid like Lady GaGa or Madonna, Or some girl singer...Katy Perry was in the running too....Husband and I were SO upset, we thought these were stupid names, so he decided on "Mumford" from the group Mumford and sons. At first we thought it was EVEN worse than Lady GaGa.....but then Mumford or Mummers started to grow, she was clumsy, for instance, while looking at us and walking, she would run into things....Or couldn't find her way out of the coop when the door was open and she had used it hundreds of times.....But she was THE sweetest chicken ever, she would let our special needs daughter swing her on the swing and we could carry her like a baby, and lots of other things! Mumfors we miss you!!!

7. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Mine were named for what they may become if they fail to live up to expectations:
    Broil(ed)
    Broast(ed)
    Crispy
    Extra Crispy
    Nugget and
    Gravy.

1 person likes this.
  8. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Lots of mine have movie references from childhood favorites:
    Henwyn = the black cauldron
    Skeksies, Mystic, Fizzgig = dark crystal
    Wookie, TanTan = star wars
    Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum= Alice in Wonderland
    Black sheep = nursery rhyme
    Raptor= Jurassic Park

Then there's Gash, who got a whole ripped out of his neck by a cat, but I saved him....SWEETEST BABY BOY EVER
    And FEISTY, who I knew was a roo from week 1, and has ALWAYS postured and pecked at me (he knows NOW that I'm head rooster and not him...since he drew blood and I held him upside down)

9. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    One of our new chicks is going to be called Chainsaw because my 12yr old daughter thinks it is a good name. 'Nuff said. [​IMG]

10. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    This is Satan. I name my birds based on either the breed names or distinguishing characteristics. I named him Satan because he kinda looks like satan lol. Then I have 1 polish hen (Hattie because she is a polish lol), 1 salmon favorelle hen (Salmon), 1 jersey giant hen (Mary, cause she is black and I am a fan of Mary Shelley...so black= Frankenstein...makes sense to me anyways lol), 1 japenese/auracauna mix hen (Jappy)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by