Whats the STORY behind your interesting CHICKEN NAMES?

My first chicken (she's almost 8 now) is named cookie because she had a spot that looked like and oreo when she was a chick.
love.gif

The look on mine's face reminded me of a chicken in a book I'd been reading who laid eggs in people's shoes.

I named her after that chicken.
lol.png

Some of my names are just out of silliness and fun. I have Noodle Soup, Nugget, Chow Mein, Alfredo, Cinnamon and Nutmeg! Like I said..... just being silly! The grandkids love it! And my vet got quite a chuckle when I had to take Noodle Soup in to him once!

When I was a kid we had a light brahma named "Granny" cuz she reminded me of Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies. My current light brahma is named "Granny".

I have a buff brahma named "Aunt Bea"

My FBCMarans is named "Mary"

I could go on and on....

I have a Claret Game Roo named Rocky b/c when he was about 4 months old he was in the pen with another roo and bunch of hens and all of a sudden he decided to hack up at this rooster 10x's his size and shuffle (whatever you call it when they kick each other lol ) at him he didn't even have nobs for spurs yet lol so we named him Rocky and built him and Adriane their own pen lol
big_smile.png

My Australorp rooster is proud, sleek, beautiful, regal and black. I named him "The Count of Monte Cristo" or 'Monte' after my favorite book. The book was noir. The Count was dark, sexy, and mysterious. Dumas was my favorite (jr. high school period) author. He also wrote such classics as the 'Three Musketeers" and the "Man in the Iron Mask". Finally, while Alexandre Dumas, is well-known as a French author, few people recognize his greatness as a black writer of classic literature.

I thought of calling him 'The Count' but considered most people would associate his name with Dracula rather than the Dumas book.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) * * * Nesting with 5 Australorp and 5 Lt. Brahma hens plus 'The Count of Monte Cristo' - or Monte, for short - one beautiful, well-behaved, hard-working, Australorp rooster, in south-est, central-est Wisconsin.

Most of my birds dont have names but I do have a few.
Ernie....He just LOOKED like an Ernie
Sickly....She wandered into the dog pen. Most of her "hide" in the rear was gone. Just showing muscling...She's alive and well but still doesn't have any skin.
The startroopers... My 2 BCM hens tend to run around with their wings straight out all the time.
Chip & Dale....My Welsummers named for the chipmuck appearance as babies.
Longneck...has a realllllly long neck.
Tag-a-long.... is really 1 of 3 Sebright roosters who chase us prentending to be big and bad...but are just adorable.

We don't have names for my girls as we have so many. We usually just name the boys.

Our boys.
Chester
Picture1898.jpg

Minor
IMG_2965.jpg

Major
IMG_2964.jpg

Rufus
IMG_3546.jpg

Moe
IMG_3547.jpg

Larry
IMG_3548.jpg

My young BO boys who haven't been named yet.
IMG_3566.jpg
IMG_3569.jpg

We have several more cockerels but they will be dinners. Can't keep them all.

I just named my four newest: Alfredo, Marsala, Fingers, and Stew. As adorable as they are and as sweet as Fingers' little face is, we need to be reminded that they are first and foremost production birds. I have one pullet I named ChickieLou (hence the name) and two WS that I haven't named at all. I think I'll call them Barney and Blue. Barney bc I think that one may be a roo. If not, Barney's a pretty cool name for a hen.

I named a cockerel Orion, because he hatched while I was listening to Gustav Holst's The Planets on full volume.
I named his sister Jameelah because I kept telling her she's pretty. Jameelah is arabic for 'beautiful'. It turns out, I used to work on a stud and pone of my favourite fillies was called Jameelah, but I always called her 'Gorgeous', and she'd respond to that (she was very nervous and had no self-confidence whatsoever). Who'da thought lol.
I've got a Friesian called Sparrow. Her sister was called Hawk, because she was as sharp as anything. Sparrow, on the otherhand... has a bit of an eyesight problem (she needs specs). She'll walk up to you, strain her neck forwards, stare you right in the eye and chatter away, making sure you're listening. Her chattiness coupled with what can sometimes seem like dumbness puts her in league with sparrows, not hawks!
Those are the only vaguely interesting ones...

Back
Top Bottom