Whats the STORY behind your interesting CHICKEN NAMES?

Her name is UNO because she was the very first chick I ever hatched, And of course she is a one of a kind girl, (Speckled Sussex) their will never be another girl like her in my eyes! I got alot of SS that look like her, but she is just so special in so many ways! SS are my all time fav. Breed but even that is because of her!
big_smile.png

20212_uno_2.jpg

Hi there Stormy lady!
I also have a speckled sussex hen..she was one of my first ever chickens too. Out of all the chicks, she was the sweetest and most most friendly. When it came time to name her, I tried to think of the sweetest food product I have ever eaten..hence her name...Honeybun!!

She actually comes to the front door and pecks on the glass a time or two like she's knocking....I open the door and she walks in like she owns the place. Walks straight over to the corner where I keep biddie feed by the back door,,cleans up all the sprinkles of feed on the floor, and waits for me to open the back door and let her out. Has never once pooped on my floor!

Quote:
We have a little sebright roo named Uno because he was our first chick ever hatched too! He went around pecking at all the other chicks while they tried to hatch like "hurry up"!
That was 8 weeks ago...we also hatched a black silkie who my DS (7 yo) named Dark (yes, dark) Vader. We are pretty sure thats working out okay 'cause he is very rooish and appears to be trying to live up to his name!

Quote:
Hey there! That is so cute! and I really like the name Honeybun I had a LB Roo named Honeycomb!
I have one (Emerald) that lets herself out to free Range( Hops the fence) and in the evening comes to the back door to get me to let her in for the night, so I grab my key to the big door and she makes a mad dash for the coop and waits for me. You just gotta love them Sussex!
big_smile.png

They do something to surprise me everyday it seems. LOL

I'm really Loving these names! There so cute, Mine have all Old Fashion Names, like Betty, Hazel, Lucy, Henrietta, Mabel, Lacy and the list goes on and on.
smile.png

I have "Nick", short for Nearly Headless Nick. Nick was in a pen with his four ladies when I first got them. Delawares by the way. Since they didn't have a nest box they would lay the eggs on the floor and if I wasn't there to grap it, Nick would eat it. So I threatened to chop his head off.

Hence the name "Nearly" Headless Nick. (from Harry Potter).

Now we do have Frenchy a little red friz that my DD named and Buckwheat, Frenchy's DD a barred Friz. My DW named her.

There are other names but none really interesting. Most have no names at all.

Quote:
We have a little sebright roo named Uno because he was our first chick ever hatched too! He went around pecking at all the other chicks while they tried to hatch like "hurry up"!
That was 8 weeks ago...we also hatched a black silkie who my DS (7 yo) named Dark (yes, dark) Vader. We are pretty sure thats working out okay 'cause he is very rooish and appears to be trying to live up to his name!

Your little Uno was in a hurry to get some playmates!!
big_smile.png

Dark Vader is a great name for a black silkie! with there little poofy black helmet and his black cape! I love it!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes! Lots of old fashioned names. Lucy with the floppy comb who would love to be a house chicken. She is the first one to race to me. The first one to climb the porch and knock on the deck door. The bird who follows me instead of the rest of her flock. There is her partner-in-crime, Lacy with her comb like interlaced fingers. Where ever Lacy goes I'm sure to find Lacy not far behind. I also have a Henrietta and her near twin Inga, (with one and two 'loops' in their comb) and Hazel, who is just not one of the first 4. Those are my five Australorps.

Then there are the Lt. Brahmas. It is much more difficult to distinguish between these girls. There is Freckles with spots on her tail and under-rump. My problem is that I can't ID her unless she's walking away. LOL Granddaughter, Gypsy, wanted to name the Brahmas as well as the Australorps so I brought out the food coloring to help with identification. I spotted Brook with blue food coloring on her back. Ringo has a dash of blue on her head. Lil has green spots. and Iris has a green dash.

I can see a value in having several different breeds instead of lots of the same breed when it comes to naming the girls. Personally, except for the roo, Lucy and Lacy, I probably wouldn't have named any of the chickens.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) * * * Nesting with 5 Australorp and 5 Lt. Brahma hens plus 'The Count of Monte Cristo' - or Monte, for short - one beautiful, well-behaved, hard-working, Australorp rooster, in south-est, central-est Wisconsin.

Quote:
Yes! Lots of old fashioned names. Lucy with the floppy comb who would love to be a house chicken. She is the first one to race to me. The first one to climb the porch and knock on the deck door. The bird who follows me instead of the rest of her flock. There is her partner-in-crime, Lacy with her comb like interlaced fingers. Where ever Lacy goes I'm sure to find Lacy not far behind. I also have a Henrietta and her near twin Inga, (with one and two 'loops' in their comb) and Hazel, who is just not one of the first 4. Those are my five Australorps.

Then there are the Lt. Brahmas. It is much more difficult to distinguish between these girls. There is Freckles with spots on her tail and under-rump. My problem is that I can't ID her unless she's walking away. LOL Granddaughter, Gypsy, wanted to name the Brahmas as well as the Australorps so I brought out the food coloring to help with identification. I spotted Brook with blue food coloring on her back. Ringo has a dash of blue on her head. Lil has green spots. and Iris has a green dash.

I can see a value in having several different breeds instead of lots of the same breed when it comes to naming the girls. Personally, except for the roo, Lucy and Lacy, I probably wouldn't have named any of the chickens.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) * * * Nesting with 5 Australorp and 5 Lt. Brahma hens plus 'The Count of Monte Cristo' - or Monte, for short - one beautiful, well-behaved, hard-working, Australorp rooster, in south-est, central-est Wisconsin.

I have a Lily but we call her Lil, and an Iris too, there both Silkies.
smile.png

I HAVE FIVE GALS NAMED JACKIE, MABLE, FROSTY, FALCON AND PUNY. FALCON BECAUSE SHE HAD A TRIANGLE COLORING ON HER HEAD AND LOOKED LIKE A FALCON, AND PUNY BECAUSE WHEN I WAS YOUNG MY GRANDPA WOULD BUY CHICKS THAT WERE RUNTS AND DEFORMED FROM SOME MAIL ORDER PLACE. THREE WINGS OR FEET, CROOKED NECKS ETC. ONE HE HAD WAS JUST LITTLE, WEAK AND NEVER SEEMED TO GET BIG AND HE CALLED IT 'PUNY DOONK'. NOT SURE WHERE THE 'DOONK' CAME FROM, BUT THEY WERE COUNTRY. SO IT WAS A NATURAL FOR ME TO PAY HIM HOMAGE.
MY STEP SON, 9, NAMED JACKIE, AND FROSTY MY WIFE CAUSE SHE'S WHITE AND GRAY, AND I JUST LIKED MABLE AS A NAME NOW THAT I LIVE IN THE COUNTRY AND CAN FINALLY HAVE CHICKENS AFTER WANTING FOR YEARS.
woot.gif
D.gif
:cd:cd:weee

Back
Top Bottom