What's the strangest thing your chickens have eaten?

My chickens go after all sorts of animals, but the weirdest thing I have seen them eat is styrofoam. No kidding, they love it. I try to tell them it isn't good for them, but they ate like two huge sheets I was using to keep the rain water out of the barn! Glad it didn't hurt them.
smile.png

Pickled beets.... They eat mice whole, snakes are split, they love potato salad and anything noodle like.... But they will trample each other for some leftover pickled beets.... I keep thinking maybe I'll get a pink egg :D

Jeez that's a weird comment... It's not on the thread anymore just your quote of it, looks like an admin must have removed it! Thanks!

My chickens also go nuts for pickled beets, or anything pickled really! But they're pretty competitive about food (we have giant rats where i live so they get fed "meals" instead of free feeding)

Maybe one day you WILL get that pink egg!

Last edited:
I think they get to be little piggies when it comes to leftovers lol... They see me coming and get all excited... I can sense their disappointment when its something bland ha-ha, they kick baked potatoes around until they HAVE to eat it. :D

A bat. My husband was working on our shed a couple years ago and came across a bat sleeping under one of the boards. He freaked out and threw it into the pen with the hens and they got a hold of it, fought over it and ate before the bat could fly away. The poor bat...

Back
Top Bottom