1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

whats the worst gift you have ever recieved?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dar, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    ok its that time of the year again....

i know its the thought that counts

its better to give then recieve

Common who are you kidding we ALL like getting gifts...
    but what is some of the worst you have ever gotten?

I'll start...
    My darling (insert nasty title here) MIL bought me cooking lessons one year....in the fall we were talking about cooking...my DH pipes up and says that I dont like to cook, which is not true...I HATE COOKING...i am am baker i will sit for hours in the kitchen baking stuff when i get the bug i will stand there and stare at my baking cupboard and see what i have on hand and create something...

i know how to cook...i just really dont like all the chopping, mashing, sauteing (sp) peeling.....and the list goes on and on..

in the card she wrote...i hope you enjoy this it may be good for you to learn about all the hard work thats involved with making a big meal you can be proud to serve your family [​IMG]

my DH hid from me for a few days after that [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    My DH, when we were first together, was SOOOOOO excited because he had bought me the perfect gift. It was a gold chain bracelet....... um, I don't really wear jewelry, and I don't like yellow gold.... It was the kind of thing his past GFs would have liked. I think we fought a few times over that one [​IMG] Still don't have ANY clue why he thought I would like it... LOL

Oh, and my mom used to buy me stirrup stretch pants/sweater sets complete with matching scrunchies. [​IMG]

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm trying to type and not laugh at the responses so far.

Here's mine:

MIL bought all 3 of us daughter in laws one year USED lamps from a flea market. Mine were nasty looking cheap oil lamps, one had cracked glass. One SIL got a single lamp, not even a pair and the other SIL with no kids got a nicer lamp... we were told because she didn't have any kids that would break it. I broke my lamps the second I got home.

For my 30th Birthday DH was working out of State and sent me express mail a gel seat for a bicycle and a HUGE bag of chocolate. I worked out at the gym 6 days a week and he thought I might like the gel seat for the cycling class I'd been doing 3 times a week for the past 3 years. I've never cried so much in my life.

Edited to add that even his Mom ( the lamp giver ) said DH's gift was pretty bad.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My birthday. This year. My dad called me...I thought to wish me a happy birthday. Instead he proceeded to ask me questions about his computer and his internet. I helped him through everything, he said "Gotta go" and hung up.

Yup...he forgot it was my birthday and used me for free tech support.

Worst. Present. Ever.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    A blue sweater with big white snow flakes on it. It even had a V-neck line. It was an extra large so it wasn't a mistake gift meant for my wife.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Dang some of those are really bad.

We got as a joint gift a few years ago from BIL and SIL - a stupid tin bucket with COKE WRITTEN all over it, and inside the stupid bucket two plastic cups and a bag of pretzels. LAME. LOL

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  7. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    My worst present was one year for Mother's Day. My dh had been campaigning big-time for a BOZE Wave Radio. He pointed them out on commercials, made me listen to one at his friend's house, waved ads in my face - ad nauseum. I gave him my opinion - that it was an extravagance that, at that time, didn't make sense...but he was free to do whatever.

Well, I was surprised to get a big box for Mother's Day. My kids aren't his kids so he had never done anything (that's a WHOLE other story - trust me. The guy chronically did nothing for ANY occasion.). I open this thing - and...yes, class, it was a BOZE Wave Radio. I sat it down, tried to fight homocidal urges and politely said, "Send it back."

He was STUPIFIED. I said, "This is what YOU wanted. This isn't something I wanted." He tried his best to explain that since he thought it was so cool, that he thought I should have one. I tried to explain that it was what he wanted and I didn't so he needed to send it back or put it in his man-space or whatever (believe me - other options leapt to mind...).

18 months later we divorced.

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I was a 19 year old single mother and I worked 10 hours a day to support Myself and my daughter. I could not afford to even buy myself a winter coat for 6 years. My mom asked me what I would like for christmas. I told her I had always wanted a little 10 gal fish tank to have some fancy tailed guppies. She knew there was plenty of things I "needed" more than what I "wanted" and kept trying to lean me in that direction. But I was still kinda just a kid myself, and I looked so forward to my new fish tank [​IMG] so I am ashamed to say that I was so disappointed to open the big box and find my first microwave oven. She knew it was a better gift but it took me YEARS to realize that she was right. I don't expect synpathy [​IMG]

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I so hear you on that one ...i just announced to him the other night that i was finished the christmas shopping for the kids...he says to me what did WE get them...i said we did not get them anything but my stuff is in the closet....if i did not do EVERYTHING for my DH he would be lost... [​IMG]

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    An Iron.

No, I am not kidding. Dh, the test model, bought me an iron for my birthday.

His Mother used to iron his boxers! I refuse to buy things that need to be ironed and I darn well was not going to iron his clothes for him. Funny he had known that and agreed with me BEFORE we got married. But, once that ring was on my finger I get an iron for my birthday! [​IMG]

When we split I told him he could have it as a parting gift.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by