What's this head bobbing?

Uh oh. Thanks! I guess I can't call them my babies anymore.

This bring me to another question. I recently re-homed my 2 girls, but will they mate with the other ducks in the lake?
I don't know how they'll catch them since they've been acting like grumpy old men and chasing them off their lawn.😂 And the other ducks can fly.

Uh oh. Thanks! I guess I can't call them my babies anymore.

This bring me to another question. I recently re-homed my 2 girls, but will they mate with the other ducks in the lake?
I don't know how they'll catch them since they've been acting like grumpy old men and chasing them off their lawn.😂 And the other ducks can fly.
If they can catch them they certainly will. They will even start playing hop on top with each other.

I interpret the head bob to mean, "you are really pretty." With my ducks it is always at the beginning of their mating ritual - as it should be! ;-) My girls "mate" together.

My ducks also head bob at me when they are trying to charm me into doing something for them. My ducks are definitely not trying to mate with me, they've never squatted in front of me. They head bob at me and then waddle to where the mealworms are and then head bob some more.

So, if they head bob at you don't be squicked out! They might think you are pretty and want some mealworms. ;-)

I interpret the head bob to mean, "you are really pretty." With my ducks it is always at the beginning of their mating ritual - as it should be! ;-) My girls "mate" together.

My ducks also head bob at me when they are trying to charm me into doing something for them. My ducks are definitely not trying to mate with me, they've never squatted in front of me. They head bob at me and then waddle to where the mealworms are and then head bob some more.

So, if they head bob at you don't be squicked out! They might think you are pretty and want some mealworms. ;-)
Aw, that's so cute. Boy they all sure love those mealworms don't they. I need more of those and more kale all the time. There are so many changes in just the last week with my boys. They don't come up to nibble and poke at me as much, which I miss. They are getting much more independent and going further out on the lake away from the house. Now, the head bobbing. I miss them wanting to be close to us. But oh well, it has to happen. The mommy Mottled duck has separated from her ducklings now too. So they're not around as much either. Mother nature is not always easy.

Aw, that's so cute. Boy they all sure love those mealworms don't they. I need more of those and more kale all the time. There are so many changes in just the last week with my boys. They don't come up to nibble and poke at me as much, which I miss. They are getting much more independent and going further out on the lake away from the house. Now, the head bobbing. I miss them wanting to be close to us. But oh well, it has to happen. The mommy Mottled duck has separated from her ducklings now too. So they're not around as much either. Mother nature is not always easy.
Have you trained them to come when you call yet? If you haven't, you may want to consider it for a way to get them to come off the lake and back to you when you want them to.

I did this with my ducks by making the same noise when I feed them mealworms. I say, "come here ducks," and I quack. Then I slowly starting doing it further and further away. Now my ducks will come running to me when I call them from anywhere, even if we go to the pond. I always reward them with mealworms so they will keep coming when I call. You could make any noise as long as it is consistent and what you want to be calling out across your lake for years.

Have you trained them to come when you call yet? If you haven't, you may want to consider it for a way to get them to come off the lake and back to you when you want them to.

I did this with my ducks by making the same noise when I feed them mealworms. I say, "come here ducks," and I quack. Then I slowly starting doing it further and further away. Now my ducks will come running to me when I call them from anywhere, even if we go to the pond. I always reward them with mealworms so they will keep coming when I call. You could make any noise as long as it is consistent and what you want to be calling out across your lake for years.
Especially with winter coming up.
The last thing you want to be doing is trying to get out on a half frozen lake to catch ducks.

Depends on where you live I guess.

Back
Top Bottom