What's this white stuff?

Lothar1974

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Today in MN it was 32 and snowing like crazy. Thankfully I insulated the coop weeks ago and put two layers of 4mil clear plastic around the run. We have a black australorp, an Easter egger, green egger, silver laced cochin and my girl who's a salmon favorelle, all are about 6 months old. We also just tonight added our 12 week old prairie blue bell egger ( who was supposed to be a speckled sussex) and a rhode island red. I opened the run as the snow was really coming down and all our older girls would not come out, was funny. I took the australorp and put her out in the snow. She looked so puzzled and flew all the way back to the run, ha!

20201020_140438.jpg 20201017_154730.jpg 20200829_152412.jpg 20201007_165650.jpg

Today in MN it was 32 and snowing like crazy. Thankfully I insulated the coop weeks ago and put two layers of 4mil clear plastic around the run. We have a black australorp, an Easter egger, green egger, silver laced cochin and my girl who's a salmon favorelle, all are about 6 months old. We also just tonight added our 12 week old prairie blue bell egger ( who was supposed to be a speckled sussex) and a rhode island red. I opened the run as the snow was really coming down and all our older girls would not come out, was funny. I took the australorp and put her out in the snow. She looked so puzzled and flew all the way back to the run, ha!

View attachment 2381040View attachment 2381041View attachment 2381042View attachment 2381045

I know just how they feel :lol:

View attachment 2381040View attachment 2381041View attachment 2381042View attachment 2381045
Mine all dislike walking in the snow. But back when I had white leghorns, they seemed to love the snow. Here is my Daisy, whom I consider the greatest hen ever, enjoying some fresh snow at Christmas time while the others huddle inside. That snow wasn't slowing her down.

Haha when it snows my birds will have a single little path from the pop door to underneath the coop and that’s where they stay for the rest of the day. I’m working on a covered run now so hopefully they won’t have to hide under the coop anymore!
I am sure they will love it. The snow is what inspired me to build my big run for them. They just did not have enough non snow covered area without it.

I am sure they will love it. The snow is what inspired me to build my big run for them. They just did not have enough non snow covered area without it.

I really don’t get much snow. Heat is much more of a problem, however it does get extremely cold so I thought at the very least, I could wrap the run in plastic to gain 5-10 degrees of warmth too. I’m sure the girls would appreciate it! My biggest problem is heat so I’m really hoping the covered run will help keep the coop cooler, and of course offer more shade for the girls. I free range them currently and they spend from 11am to 5 PM in the summer completely hiding in the woods to escape the heat. You wouldn’t even know I had chickens!

Back
Top Bottom