whats This?

TSW99

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Tallahassee Fl

One of my older hen lays eggs looking like this. What is the cause of this?
Can I fix it?
And she is the cause of egg eating in my flock when an egg comes out like this, it bust when it's laid and she eats it and has passed that habit to the other flock members

Amelia has done that a couple times too. I call it a 'soft-shelled egg' and for her, I believe she needs to eat more calcium.

Anyway, i'm very newbie here, so I'm sure others here know more about it, including the technical terms, causes, and what to do about it.

Good news for us is that after laying an egg like this, she goes back to laying a normal one the next day. although she is younger than your hen (she is <1 yr old).

we'll the hen who lays these eggs doesn't lay every day being over four years old. My problem is mainly just the egg eating she is causing.
I just wanted to know is this like a disease or something that can be fixed?

Hi there,

There are many causes of soft shelled eggs. Lack of calcium is a possibility, as is illness or a defective shell gland. New layers tend to throw out a soft shell occasionally as they master the art of egg-laying. Older hens will also tend to lay soft shelled eggs as they approach the end of their egg laying life - this may well be the case with your girl as she gets on in years.

The best advice I can offer is to make sure you feed a good quality layers pellet and provide additional calcium on the side. Try and steer clear of too many treats (even vegetables for a while) so that your hen can only eat pellets, thereby ensuring she gets adequate calcium into her diet. If needs be you can also buy calcium powders and liquids to add to their feed and water. Some hens simply need that extra support whereas others manage on their feed alone. It may help, it may not. But I agree, if this is happening often it is going to be a problem.

Regarding the egg-eating ....It's a very hard habit to break, as chickens will play "follow the leader."

Put some fake eggs into the nest boxes, as it may discourage them from pecking at the real eggs.

Remove the soft shelled eggs as soon as you see them, as well as any egg-soaked bedding.

It might well be that you need to remove the 'leader' (the girl who lays the soft shelled eggs) from your flock - either pen her up in her own little area and then let her out each day to be with the others after she has laid (thereby ensuring the others can't eat her eggs!), or re-home her. Hopefully it won't come to that though
big_smile.png

Good luck!

- Krista

Last edited:
Thank you Krista I wiLL try what you mentioned.
if all else fails I have anoter coop not occupied that she could stay in.
I will update..

Back
Top Bottom