What's to like about flyfishing?????

frow.gif
Hey Semi!

Flyfishing runs in my family's blood. My dad made fly's and fly fished my whole life. My brother is a world renowed fly fisherman. He made a business of it...He has his own shop-he takes people on guided tours all Spring, Summer, and Fall. He has 4 different boats he chooses from. He is famous in the fly fishing world. I laugh at it -my little brother? WHo knew you could create a life out of it??? That was his dream his whole life... to make a living out of something he is in love with and was passionate about-he did it! Now mind you -I was bored with it only because it was in my face my whole life so when My little bro started publishing atricle in all the fly tying magazines and taking out some pretty famous folks to teach them I thought huh???
hu.gif

A few years back my sis and I decided to travel to Co, where he lived at the time, to surprise him and his wife. While there, he HAD to go to fly fishing show as he was hired to show folks how to create some of "his" flys.. My sis and I were bored out of our minds. BUT...to sit there a watch the crowds of people around him..drooling over his fly's that he gave away, asking him for his autograph..yah autograph
hu.gif
I thought hmmmm...This little terd was famous-in his world haha Then I took the time to read his articles and books...The way he made life sound, while flyfishing, was surreal...No one else exists at that moment when your as one with the water and your pole and the fish below...It's addicting, it's an adrenilyn rush of another kind, and so peaceful. Is it easy ? NOPE!!! Im 40 and I haven't mastered it yet-but to watch him-its beautiful-smooth-effortless, amazing!
If you get involved with it and love to fish-you will love it...Once you get past the trickiness to it...

Last edited:
I like to fish but the charm of fly fishing has always escaped me. My idea of fishing is to bait the hook, put it in the water and enjoy the scenery or read a book until something bites. I must admit I have gotten a fair amount of amusement watching my fly fisherman friends and relatives charging up and down the bank, casting their flies, and then spending time disentangling their line that has gotten caught on rocks or wrapped around tree branches and all the time sneering at my way of fishing. Really bugs them that at the end of the day I have at least as many fish as they do. But that's me.

If your an antsy fisherman then you'll like fly fishing. Dry fly fishing takes more finesse but wet fly fishing is relatively easy and you get to use large a large fly. It's basically casting a streamer then stripping it back to yourself, not hard but takes a lot of constant motion. Personally I troll on ponds and lakes, spinner and jig fish on rivers.

I am with you OP. I fish to catch and yes eat. I have and do flyfish but it takes more energy on my part and when relaxing I actually want to relax. My uncle when he was alive could out fish me on the 2 creeks on our property and he was the only person that could do that, I knew where every hole in the creeks were at and fished it all year long as a kid, my uncle was possible one of the best fly fisherman out there. He would flip that fly around in the brush and never get tangled.

Flyfishing is an art. Plain and simple. Anybody can pitch wad of stink bait into a hole and wait on a catfish to grab it, but it takes something else altogether to fly fish.

I'm a serious bass fisherman. Tournaments and all. But I still like pulling out my flyrod in the spring and fall and trying to hook a big bluegill with it.

There are different kinds of fly fishing. I'm not sure which one you are considering. I've heard of fly fishing for redfish but I've never tried that. Seems like redfish would present some unique challenges. Speckled trout would be challenging enough. You could also go for bass, brim, or some fresh water fish. Maybe they stock a stream with freshwater trout in the winter in your part of Florida?

Different people are attracted to different things. With fly fishing you are constantly in motion and have to concentrate. The instant you relax and let your mind wander, you are hung up. If you are not in good physical shape, you very quickly know it. If it is windy you face some real challenges. You have to match the leader strength and the bait to the fish. You usually can't just make it so strong you can just yank the fish out of the water. Often, you have to really play the fish. Fly fishing is not for everyone.

I don't know of any other type of fishing that gives you the adrenaline rush you can get from fly fishing. You are always keyed up. Often, you can see the fish before it hits the bait. I get that rush with tiny trout or perch, let alone the larger fish.

Some people are into tying their own flies. I can see that as a really great hobby with certain people that are good with their fingers, have decent eye sight, and have a bit of an artistic nature. Some of those flies are art.

Some people talk of the challenge of matching a fly to a hatch. I can appreciate that, but I've had similar challenges with matching plugs, crank baits, or even live bait to what the fish want. Sometimes redfish will take shrimp, sometimes they want minnows, and sometimes only crab will work. And sometimes, dead crab is better than live. Matching the right bait to the right fish in the right circumstances can be a challenge no matter what type of fishing you are doing. But if you are doing it with ties you tied yourself, well I can see great fascination in that.

I've been reading fictional books by William Tapply. He writes a series about a lawyer that lives for fly fishing. He also has real flyfishing books out there.
I had a friend who's son got addicted while in high school, and became a prominent flyfisher, and made his own flies. She told me that certain bugs mature at certain times of the year, and you should be paying close attention to match up the maturity of the bug to the time of year. I am intriqued by that. And the rhythm of casting.

So far in my life I've been a drop-a-line-off-the-boat fisher, and love the anticipation whether I catch a fish or not. But I am interested in the aspects of flyfishing. I like to hear about it.

Back
Top Bottom