What's under my coop?

Actually, "rodent" (Rodentia) is the order, the family name is Muridae, and the genus is Rattus (rat). There are 64 species in the genus, one of which is the widespread Black Rat, or Rattus rattus, whose name literally translates from Latin to "rat rat".

These 64 species are true (taxonomical) rats. There are some rodents that are not taxonomically classified as Rattus (some not even Muridae) but include "rat" in their common name though.

And the scientific name of our chickens is Gallus gallus Which if my high school Latin teacher is to be believed means French french.

In a scientific sense there is no subspecies of chickens because all off types of Gallus gallus all of their off spring are fertile and are not hybrids. The same is not true of all the 64 species of Rattus rattus.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Aves
Order: Galliformes
Family: Phasianidae
Genus: Gallus
Species: Gallus gallus
Subspecies: Gallus gallus domesticus

whatever name you want to call them - they may bring disease to your flock through their droppings and sharing the chicken feed.

There is no such animal as a rat.  However there is a whole family of animals who are members of the rodent family and which we all call rats.

And the scientific name of our chickens is Gallus gallus Which if my high school Latin teacher is to be believed means French french.

In a scientific sense there is no subspecies of chickens because all off types of Gallus gallus all of their off spring are fertile and are not hybrids.  The same is not true of all the 64 species of Rattus rattus.  

[COLOR=373A3E]Kingdom: Animalia [/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]
[/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]Phylum: Chordata [/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]
[/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]Class: Aves [/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]
[/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]Order: Galliformes [/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]
[/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]Family: Phasianidae [/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]
[/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]Genus: Gallus [/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]
[/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]Species: Gallus gallus [/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]
[/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]Subspecies: Gallus gallus domesticus [/COLOR][COLOR=373A3E]
[/COLOR]

My post was in response to what I perceive was a misuse of the taxonomic ranks.

Back
Top Bottom