What's up with Chippy Nugget?

Dona Worry

Crowing
Jul 5, 2018
Vermont
I received 18 chicks from Ideal Hatchery on 5/19, hatched on 5/17, and noted this one immediately. She was lethargic, and so so small. I do not know what breed she is-- I ordered an assortment of chicks including a "rare breed hatchery choice". She could be that one, but I also ordered EEs and Welsummers.
She is just... refusing to thrive. She chirps constantly as if in distress. She always feels weak and cold. I have her in a separate small box with my two smallest polish that hatched Saturday morning. The brooder is so warm that the polish barely stay under the heater, preferring to explore their box and eat etc, she stays under the heater. She also always has pasty butt, I've washed her almost every day since she arrived.
I'm at a loss.
Pictures are at arrival next to a normal sized chick for comparison, and from today. You can see she is standing funny on my hand, like she was too weak to stand properly.
20220525_142720.jpg
20220519_133816.jpg

Definitely looks like an OEGB. If they don't send Bantams in the assortment, then someone must've done so, & didn't realize it.

I'll have no idea what to do with her if she is. I can't have just ONE bantam
Why? I originally started out with 2 Bantams in a flock of standards, it worked out as if the Bantams were full sized.

If you don't think she'd do good with your birds, you can always look for a home for her.

Chippy Nugget seems to be declining. I have been giving her chick rescue (electrolytes and mineral supplement pack) and egg yolk to boost her along, but she is not getting any better. What do I make of this? I feel like in the past chicks will either die or get better by day 3 or 4 and this one has done neither.

Chippy Nugget seems to be declining. I have been giving her chick rescue (electrolytes and mineral supplement pack) and egg yolk to boost her along, but she is not getting any better. What do I make of this? I feel like in the past chicks will either die or get better by day 3 or 4 and this one has done neither.
Possibly a failure to Thrive chick if she's not getting better.

Back
Top Bottom