What's up with Chippy Nugget?

I don't even see that they carry that breed! Silver duckling old English Bantam is the closest I see.
Screenshot_20220526-172540_Chrome.jpg

OK - are the toes always like that? If so she may be suffering from curled toe, which can hurt. You can make her little shoes by using a band-aid and a band-aid box.

Cut the band-aid box cardboard into a shape that is basically the outline of her foot (don't try to cut-out for the toes)

Cut the middle part of the band-aid out- you only need the sticky parts. Adhere one piece of sticky band-aid to what will be the BOTTOM of the "shoe" (for traction).

Then put her foot on the cardboard, spread her toes out to "normal" position- then use the sticky part of the band-aid to glue her toes into position. Might take 1 more piece to secure them- hard to say.

1653601601821.png

Had one with curled toe that would not stop pain-chirping right out of the egg. As soon as his toes were bandaged on, he stopped and went right to sleep. Not guaranteeing it's the only problem but it's a cheap endeavor that won't hurt and might just help.

Last edited:
OK - are the toes always like that? If so she may be suffering from curled toe, which can hurt. You can make her little shoes by using a band-aid and a band-aid box.

Cut the band-aid box cardboard into a shape that is basically the outline of her foot (don't try to cut-out for the toes)

Cut the middle part of the band-aid out- you only need the sticky parts. Adhere one piece of sticky band-aid to what will be the BOTTOM of the "shoe" (for traction).

Then put her foot on the cardboard, spread her toes out to "normal" position- then use the sticky part of the band-aid to glue her toes into position. Might take 1 more piece to secure them- hard to say.

View attachment 3124810

Had one with curled toe that would not stop pain-chirping right out of the egg. As soon as his toes were bandaged on, he stopped and went right to sleep. Not guaranteeing it's the only problem but it's a cheap endeavor that won't hurt and might just help.
Hmmm. No, she walks normally-- but she DOES curl her toes when I pick her up a lot. If I readjust her slightly she stands normally. I assumed it was because she is a little dull and weak, she just wasn't opening her foot.

Chippy Nugget continues to fail to thrive. I'm out of ideas. I've moved some birds around, so for now she is in a good big pen in my spare room, and back with the EEs that are almost 3 times her size. I'm selling a few birds and moving some more around on Friday, so I might be able to snag the very smallest polish and give her just one buddy and see if she does better.

She continues to get pasty butt. I've stopped supplementing her, and tbh there has been no change. Her appetite seems low, and she constantly seems weak.

What do I do? Where do I go from here?

She is still small and noticeably behind the rest. Most of her flock mates spend their time exploring and experimenting with the roosts, she is still using the brooder.
Since she is likely a bantam I expect her to be small, but she is feathering out a lot slower than the rest, most of them are in the awkward dinosaur stage of feathers, she is still fluffy except for tail and wings.
She doesn't seem to be loosing ground, just a late bloomer.

Ok, so I went to a local fair today, and to my delight spotted some Old English Game Bantams!

And. They are possibly smaller than Ms. Chippy Nugget. Who is just 12 weeks old, but has caught up with my polish chicks almost.
WHAT IS CHIPPY NUGGET?

Back
Top Bottom