What's up with Dotty's butt? **Graphic image**

Heat

Songster
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
Washington
Hey there BYC peeps.

I have a blue laced red wyandotte named Dotty. Last month Dotty was bleeding from her behind, and it almost looked like part of her innards were trying to come out . It cleared up after about a week and we found a bloody egg in the coop around the same time it cleared up, so we assumed it was from her.

Now yesterday we noticed she was trying very hard to either poo or poo out an egg, we weren't quiet sure but the sight of it was enough to make my husband leave the coop (he is a prior Marine if that tells you anything) he was pretty well grossed out. This morning after I let everyone out of the coop she was wandering around the yard and would stop every so often and "squat". I got behind her to get a better look and she is bleeding worse than the last time. When she "squats" you can tell she is trying to push something out, but only blood and blood clots (I think) are coming out. The other chickens and ducks are following her around and gobbling up the pieces of "clot" and blood that do come out...

Our theory is she is egg bound, but I am not 100% positive. If she is... what causes it? And what can I do to prevent it from happening to another hen/to this one again (giving she survives this)?

This is what her behind looks like (not "squatting" or pushing)

Dotty passed away yesterday while I was at work. When I picked her up to inspect her I could see all the inside her.... I didn't see any egg or any blockage... of course one could have passed/broke and the other chickens could have eaten it before I got there.

But I am not 100% positive she was egg bound...

Does anyone have any insight? I just want to try to prevent this from happening to any other hens...

Wow... I didn't even know about that... looks like I have some research to do to figure it out....

Back
Top Bottom