What's up with Mcmurray this year?

Thought this was interesting about McMurray Hatchery:
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/4869/

I also want to say that I had looked into ordering from McMurray's but went with personal breeders and buying from chicken shows. I want to point out that I have purchased chickens from people who purchased these chickens from MH and all of them have been very aggressive birds or hard to handle--could be genetics, over-breeding...of course it could be how the past owners handled them as well. Who's to say??? However, I refuse to purchase chicks from a hatchery or have chicks/chickens shipped for that matter. I have heard of too many horror stories...of course there are positive ones as well...I just don't ever want to be in the situation of receiving dead chicks in the mail. It's just not worth the possibilty of this happening to me. There are plenty of chicken shows and breeders in your area. You just have to do your research(i.e-internet is the best resource). All of my chickens that I have gotten from breeders who have raised these from eggs, are much easier to handle and not aggressive. Just wanted to throw my two cents in!
wink.png
Not that it's worth much!
tongue.png

God bless,
Tracey

I was talking with MMH and they said they have had a unusually busy year this year so it may just be first time buyers putting them in bad places. With so much conflicting advise on how to raise baby chickens its a wonder any one gets it right.

I ordered from M-M last year and was pleased with the chicks. Had 2 to die at about a week old. The rest were okay..............This year I ordered a few from Cackle, they sent 27, I ordered 25, 2 did not make it past the 4th day. I still have 25(the # I ordered)
I am pleased with them also. I think sometimes a hatchery and even us backyarders hit a rough spot along the way. Maybe (hopefully) this is just a bump in the road!

Kstaven wrote:

Where did you find Blue coppers? I was looking quite some time ago and came up empty.

I will be getting them from valentine hatchery

www.vhatchery.com

Cost $40 for a dozen (including shipping)

He must not have too much of a waiting list, since I contacted him earlier this week, and he plans to ship out my eggs this coming Monday.

He sells on Eggbid, and has good feedback. I ordered these directly from him (not from an auction, got fast replies from him on my emails
smile.png
).

Z

Back
Top Bottom