What's up with my Barred Rock?

ChickenLady♡

Songster
Oct 13, 2018
Adelaide, Australia
I have a 3 1/2 week old barred rock that looks pretty convincing to be a boy - very pale legs, and paler feathers than his 'sister', although he has feathered out much quicker than her. I'm wondering about his comb though - it doesn't look like it's going to be a single comb (? maybe rose). I purchased my chicks from a heritage breeder so pretty sure of his heritage but seeking any advice?

The last picture is his 'sister'.

20181014_110956.jpg
20181014_110719.jpg
20181014_110331.jpg

that's a shame, what sort of chickens have tassels? The breeder had them all in seperate pens but I guess that must not be foolproof...!
It doesn't necessarily mean the breeder didn't have the breeds properly segregated. His or her barred rocks could have had some mixing that wasn't apparent in that generation but showed through in the offspring.

Many breeds have tassels-- cream Legbars, usually Icelandics, sometimes Swedish flower hens, among others. It can also happen when a crested bird is crossed with a non-crested bird. Silkie and Polish crosses often have tassels.

Unless you are planning on showing or breeding purebreds, it doesn't matter much if the birds are a little mixed. You are still likely to get good producers of eggs and/or meat, depending on your needs. He is still a handsome cockerel.

Your heritage breeder has sold you a mixed breed. The comb is evidence of that, and also the little poof up top his head-- it means he's going to have a tiny crest, or what is properly known as a tassel. I agree he is a cockerel.
that's a shame, what sort of chickens have tassels? The breeder had them all in seperate pens but I guess that must not be foolproof...!

White legs are dominant over yellow; what does the breeder have with white legs and a crest?
Mary
I think I will contact her and let her know - even if it's just for the heads up. I know several of her birds / stock have won at shows so she's probably keen to know. From my perspective I'm not too fussed - I'm looking for laying backyard hens so this boy will probably be finding another home (although he is a cutie!)

Back
Top Bottom