What's up with my Barred Rocks?

I am new to the world of chicken raising also. I ordered 15 day old female Barred Plymouth Rocks from a different company received June 17, 2008. All 15 lived through shipping and are still with me. As they grew, they had many differences in shape and size of combs, wattles, and overall size of chicks. I contacted to company and they told me not to panic. Sure enough in week 25, my hens started laying. I get between 10-14 eggs a day. My largest hen is a much bigger than any of the others. I thought for sure she was a rooster but I've seen her lay...

I was told to keep an eye out for these Rooster signs:
#1 - crowing, #2 - spurs, #3 - how their feathers grow

I haven't had 15 eggs total in 1 day, so someone may not be laying, but no one is crowing!

The only aggressive behavior I see looks like the "pecking order" for picking a nest, or position on roost in evening.

Sorry so long. Hopes this helps.

Quote:
Nope, not a Roo IMO!

Here's one of my BR Hens
11170_imgp3751.jpg

Here's my BR Roo
11170_imgp3755.jpg

Last edited:
My BR turned out to be a rooster too. Someone also told me to look at the feathers on the back "saddle area" and if they are pointed instead of round that's also shows its a rooster.
smile.png

chickflick'92 :

Both of my chickens are 5 months 11 days old but the one BR is bigger, has a larger comb and is starting to be aggressive towards the other chickens. This pic is the potential "roo"....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/13104_roo.jpg

All the other combs on my 7 other chickens are about half the size or smaller than that BR's comb.

That is not a rooster.​

It looks like a hen to me.
I think it sounds like "wry neck" vitamins in the water and she will be fine. (Or he will be fine, if I am wrong and it is a Roo!)

The other chickens will benefit from them as well.

Back
Top Bottom