What's up with my Barred Rocks?

chickflick'92

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 13, 2008
New York
Hey chicken lovers! I was wondering about my BR. She seems to keep her neck cocked and I can't get her to straighten it. I'm wondering what happened. I'm going to try looking into the eye that she keeps down tomorrow. She might have been pecked by one of my other BR's who all of a sudden became aggressive.
hmm.png
I hope she'll straighten it out soon. She's acting normal but cocking her neck.
What should I do about her neck?

My other BR who is pecking the other chickens never used to be aggressive. She chases the chickens around, plucks their butt feathers out and eats them. She is bigger and has a larger crown than the rest. She should start laying soon since my white chicken just started.
Anyone know why she's acting like this? Thanks
big_smile.png

Edit: picture reply below>>>>

Last edited:
ep.gif
Are you kidding me?! A rooster?? That's.....wow. I ordered from McMurray Hatchery assorted brown egg laying hens. Never thought I would have a rooster. This is my first time ever owning chickens. I'm confused as to what to feel right now. I want a rooster to have baby chicks but I don't because I want to eat the eggs too. Wow.

Anyways, anything I can do about the crooked neck??
D.gif

I want a rooster to have baby chicks but I don't because I want to eat the eggs too. Wow.

You can eat fertilized eggs as well as infertile ones. There is no real difference as long as the hen hasn't been incubating them for days and days.​

Barred Rock Roos look and behave totally different from the hens. Their feathers are almost a "white on black" as opposed to a "black on white" look. Post your pics of it and someone will help you out or look on the pages here for BR sample pictures.
Sorry, I don't know anything about a crooked neck. You should really investigate that one further, hopefully it is not a major issue.
Good luck.
hmm.png

I couldn't tell until my 2 BR's were about 6 months what they were.
My wife wants to slaughter the BR rooster because he is really aggressive. But He's lucky that He's the only BR rooster.

She could have an injury or a vitamin deficiency. If you get some children's Polyvisol liquid vitamins (w/o iron) and give her 3-5 drops by beak once a day, it may help, if it's a vitamin issue. If it's an injury, not sure what to do except separate her so she doesn't get picked on; put her in a warm place so you can observe her and feed her extra protein.

Both of my chickens are 5 months 11 days old but the one BR is bigger, has a larger comb and is starting to be aggressive towards the other chickens. This pic is the potential "roo"....

13104_roo.jpg

All the other combs on my 7 other chickens are about half the size or smaller than that BR's comb.

Back
Top Bottom