What's up with my EE?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zDoc, Nov 21, 2010.

1. zDoc

zDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    I used to get a pretty green egg about every other day, now ......zilch. It's been about 10 days, is she on strike or what? [​IMG]

2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Winter? Mine has not been laying for months now, so I'm guessing it's the cold.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Could be because she's not feeling well, she's molting, she's pausing for winter, or she's one of the many Easter Eggers with egg laying problems. The problems include rough shelled eggs, no eggs at all, too big of eggs that cause prolapse, or breaks that last months.

I have an Easter Egger who, if I ever do get an egg (usually a few, then she breaks for over 4 months, then another few, and so on) it is absolutely enormous, and later on they just come out as goo. . . [​IMG]

Anyway, not meaning to scare you. Pretty sure it's just something going on that is telling her to stop for a little while, including molting, diet change, or weather change.

5. zDoc

zDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    She's less than a year old, so she isn't molting this year. I'm hoping it's just the cold weather. I'm getting about 14 eggs a day from 17 girls, 15 of them are sex links, 2 EE's one laying a brown egg. Which for all I know she may not be laying either. [​IMG]

6. Cluckhead

Cluckhead Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:My EE did the same thing only she hasn't laid anything for almost a year. Boo!

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens began to slow down to 12 or so per day; so last week we put 4 strings of white LED Christmas lights up in their coop/run. I expect you may be about the same zone I'm in Texas (7b). I have the timer set to come on at 4am and go off at 8am. They go to bed about 5:30pm. Since we put the lights up I get 16 to 20 eggs a day from 22 chickens. Most of my 3 EE's lay daily, I'm waiting on Opal right now...Ladyhawk laid early today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by