What's up with the feathering on Faverolles?

Chic-keyLady

Chirping
Aug 21, 2023
So I live in an area where the winters are long, gray, and frosty. I've been sticking to some winter hardy breeds with rose combs, pea combs, and dense feathering. Now I did pick up some Salmon Faverolles last month but they haven't feathered out completely yet. Most sources say they do well in winter. Now I'm getting some mixed reviews. First, they are puffed out due to how dense their feathering is. That makes sense to me. But then I read somewhere that said don't let their fluffy feathers fool you. They're only fluffy because there's more room for them to fluff out. Not dense. WHAT??? Is that how that works? I have some Wyandottes and you can tell their feathering is dense. So what am I to expect? Are they winter hardy? Did I just fall into selling scheme or do they actually match the original description?

I had a Faverolles die in winter though the others did not. I don’t know if the cold is what killed her or if she had other issues I wasn’t aware of. No clue if they are a hardy breed or not. I don’t think anyone was intentionally misleading you, though.

Back
Top Bottom