What's up with the 'TRILLING'

gardendufus

Songster
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
CO Springs-First Chics 3/2/12
Ok,c my 6 1/2 week old BA's and BR's have cheeped, chirped, 'crooned' over treats and 'squawked' about being rounded up.

Today, the BA that I suspect will turn out to be a Roo, started (I can find no better description) TRILLING. Within a minute or so, all the older ones joined in and were trilling right along with him/her. Now not much they have done (or said) has surprised me cuz I spent a lot of time on here before I got them. But I have never heard of them making this particular sound before. Anyone have any comments?

Glad to hear it may be a happy sound. I have a brooder inside the coop with 1 week olds. The older chicks 4 at 6 1/2 weeks old, 2 at 3 1/2 weeks old were all laying and sunning by the side of the brooder doing their trilling thing.

i have a buff orpington named rosey here in the picture. she had a problem with egg laying. i had to keep her inside my house to keep her from so much exposure to light so it would slow down her egg production. she is a pet and very important to us. we love her dearly. anyway when i would go in to sit with her as i would hold her she would make that sound. i didnt know either what but someone on her said they thought it was love. i'll take that! she loves to be held and loved on she is a very special little hen.

I absolutely LOVE the chicken trill! When the babies are old enough to be able to perch on the sides of the brooder is when I first heard the sound. After careful observation, I determined it was their Happy Sound.

I am particularly undone when a chicken being held in my arms, or which has started to fall asleep on my lap starts to trill.

Wait until you hear a rooster "growl.". Now THAT is startling!

Last edited:
My EE makes little trilling noises! I don't hear the others doing it often, and had been putting it down to her odd genetics, but it's cool to know that others have chicks that do this.

Wait until you hear a rooster "growl.". Now THAT is startling!

Please pray that that doesn't happen. I have one BA that is 6 1/2 weeks old with a much more pronounced (and reddish) comb and wattles that I have a suspicious eye on. I'm NOT allowed roosters where I live and one neighbor has already warned me he won't tolerate a rooster. The only thing that keeps me hoping is that my 'rooish' bird doesn't show any aggressive traits. Guess I'm gonna have to wait for either eggs or crows........sigh. He/she is the one that started all the trilling. Has only done it that once.

Mine do the same thing. Sometimes one will do it as an exclamation to something they seem to be excited about. Other times, it seems to be a pleasurable sound. When they all start doing it, it is clear they are contented. Happy, contented and relaxed chickens make that beautiful sound.

This was very hard to get. Here is one of my dutch chickens who's around 1 month old trilling. I've heard they do this when they are happy and content. The other you hear is a easter egger trying to find a spot to roost for the night. I think the Dutch is saying chill out and go to sleep.

You hear the 'trill' at the 4 second mark. No true video, it was very dark.

Back
Top Bottom