What's Up with These Rings on this Egg?

ajamichelle

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014
New Mexico
Hello Everyone!

Wonderful forum!

The hen who laid this egg was one of two recently acquired from a situation wherein they were badly henpecked. This is one of several eggs missing some shell coloration.

Can someone please offer insight into the cause? Or is this normal?

It's very likely that these ladies did not have their base needs met in their previous home, as many resources (primarily space) were not abundant.

Thank you in advance!

Also, I'll be posting some photos in the "ID/Sex my chickens" section.

One side of egg ("top")

Other side of egg ("bottom")

Lateral view

Those are called White Banded Eggs (see pic on bottom right row) http://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf Quote " These eggs are the result of two eggs
coming in contact with each other in the shell gland pouch. At this point, normal calcification is interrupted and
the first egg retained in the pouch will have an extra layer of calcium - seen as the white band marking."
I find them periodically also, think they are mainly caused by something stressing the hen stopping them from laying the first egg when they normally would. and ... Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply! I tried searching for the cause but couldn't seem to find the right word combination!

That definitely makes sense considering her situation and the move. :)

Thank you for the welcome! I'm super excited to be a BYC member.
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png

Back
Top Bottom