Whats up with this Egg Color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lockedhearts, Dec 30, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have 3 Wyandotte Hens, 2 GL and a SL, I got one GL & one SL
    they both layed pinkish eggs. I then got the other GL later . I had all these girls in my large pen with my cochin hens, my Buff Orp hens and my older RIR.
    I always got pinkish eggs, my brownish eggs and a whitish egg. I always assumed the whitish one was my older BO, she has always laid a lighter egg, she is a hatchery bird.
    I moved some birds around this week and put the GL girls in with my Houdan, Phoenix roos, some younger BO's and my Lakenvelder Trio.
    Yesterday I go out to check and collect eggs and there is 2 smaller brown eggs from my young BO hen and a white egg [​IMG]
    This egg looks to big to have come from my younger Lakenvelders, but is it possible for a GLW to lay a white egg? [​IMG]

Here are 2 from the big pen (far left and middle) and the one from yesterday (far right)

[​IMG]

Up close (the eggs from the big pen always had rough shells) this is the first one from the big pen
    [​IMG]

This is the second from the big pen

[​IMG]

This is the one from yesterday a little smaller and smooth
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] but did you EAT IT yet? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by