1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's up with this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ccat1, Apr 11, 2016.

1. ccat1

ccat1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2015
    I have 4 Copper Marans (one actually blue maran) and this morning I found this egg.
    I am 100% sure it is from Nugget. She was sickly for a few weeks early in her life, but was nursed to good health.
    Her legs weren't fully developed so she squats a lot when pecking, but never misses a beat. Her neck isn't as long as the others.
    All of this makes her our "favorite"........but she seems happy and healthy.
    My Marans are now a little over a year old.
    They all lay pretty much each day.
    Nugget lays the darkest chocolate egg of them all.
    This morning I found a small egg.
    I had been gone for the past 5 days and my wife said she was acting funny off and on.
    Is there something I should be concerned with at the size of this egg?
    We will obviously not eat it. The lighter egg is from our blue maran, which lays a large/XL sized egg.
    What causes this? I will watch her tomorrow and see if the size comes back to normal.
    Thanks for any help and advice.
    ccat1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It probably doesn't have a yolk, some lay them occasionally, there's nothing to worry about. It's nice and dark though.

3. szczur

szczur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    It's a fairy, rooster, or fart egg, which is a common hiccup in new layers. Generally they don't indicate anything is wrong! I looked up a ton of egg problems because mine have calcium dusted all over them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by