What's up with this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ccat1, Apr 11, 2016.

1. ccat1

ccat1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2015
    I have 4 Copper Marans (one actually blue maran) and this morning I found this egg.
    I am 100% sure it is from Nugget. She was sickly for a few weeks early in her life, but was nursed to good health.
    Her legs weren't fully developed so she squats a lot when pecking, but never misses a beat. Her neck isn't as long as the others.
    All of this makes her our "favorite"........but she seems happy and healthy.
    My Marans are now a little over a year old.
    They all lay pretty much each day.
    Nugget lays the darkest chocolate egg of them all.
    This morning I found a small egg.
    I had been gone for the past 5 days and my wife said she was acting funny off and on.
    Is there something I should be concerned with at the size of this egg?
    We will obviously not eat it. The lighter egg is from our blue maran, which lays a large/XL sized egg.
    What causes this? I will watch her tomorrow and see if the size comes back to normal.
    Thanks for any help and advice.
    ccat1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It probably doesn't have a yolk, some lay them occasionally, there's nothing to worry about. It's nice and dark though.

3. szczur

szczur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    It's a fairy, rooster, or fart egg, which is a common hiccup in new layers. Generally they don't indicate anything is wrong! I looked up a ton of egg problems because mine have calcium dusted all over them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by