What's with this hen?

Torwood

Hatching
Dec 6, 2015

Hey fellow hen herder. Take a look at these two hens. The first pick shows a hen with a soft bulging breast. The second a mor normal bird. Any idea what's up with the first? She's not given me eggs for months. She's not broody. Call me stumped.

Do some research on impacted crop, sour crop, and pendulous crop. Her crop looks like it is bulging. Crops fill up gradually during the day as they eat and drink, and they should mostly empty overnight. If they don't empty, they may have a problem.

I've massaged it as I hold her and if anythin not it feels like a sack of fluid. If I put my hand over it and press lightly it vanished. It's there morning noon and nights without change.

I've massaged it as I hold her and if anythin not it feels like a sack of fluid. If I put my hand over it and press lightly it vanished. It's there morning noon and nights without change.
Some hens just have poor muscle tone over their crops. This can lead to more frequent sour crop. You can try a birdie bra to help support her crop. That worked for our Dolly Parton girl. ;)

Back
Top Bottom