what's wrong with my bird?

Their stools can tell us some clue what is wrong with them. I also check their comb if they are healthy or not. Healthy comb is bright, NOT flappy either. You can see other chickens who are healthy to compare with the sick one. It may be different.

now i know for sure her comb is good, it is the same red and and no flop for sure. She just sits there gave them bread yesterday and she wouldnt even peck at it. Im working now so i havent had a chance to look at her today but will have all day tomorrow. I hope it is not something that will infect my other birds.

I have a hen who today won't come off the roost, just, sits with her eyes closed like she is slesleeping. When I put her on the ground she won't run away just stands there then hops back to the top roost! Any idea's? No cough or weezing in the chest.
I have no idea what is wrong with your chicken. I hope some experts in here give you some advice.

Yeah, That is the most concern about the infection that she may have will spread over the others. That is why she has to stay away from others when one get sick.
How about bringing her in the garage? You can use a box to put her in with heat lamp if it is cold there.

I would probably go ahead and treat for worms with Safeguard paste or one that gets most chicken worms, not just roundworms. I would look at her vent area for any lice or mite activity. You can check her vent for an egg with a rubber glove and lubricant. Check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it is empty and not impacted or sour. Many chickens suffer from internal laying, and about all you can do is look at everything and rule out one thing at a time. Hensinthe HOUse has a good recommendation to observe poops fro a day or so--the color and consistancy can tell you a lot about things like worms, blackhead, and E.coli. It's easy enough to put her in a cage in the coop overnight.

i will give it a try first thing in the morning. Just curious if she does have a egg stuck so to speak what can i do for her? and will this problem repeat itself?

Egg bound hens need some calcium (1/2 an adult calcium tablet crushed or a Tums) given by mouth, and a warm bath for 30 minutes to help pass an egg. Yes it can happen again. Sometimes egg binding can damage the oviduct and cause egg yolk peritonitis and prolapsed vent. Chickens can die of egg binding in a couple of days. Hopefully that isn't the cause of her sickness.

Back
Top Bottom