What's wrong with my chick? ?

kkandashlynsmom

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 27, 2016
Texas
I have a chick that hatched Thursday, May 11th. It took a while to hatch, but not an abnormally long time. When it hatched it still had quite a bit of unabsorbed yolk and a curled foot. It couldn't stand up and kept falling over. I very gently wiped the yolk off and after reading about the foot I taped it out straight for a day and now it is fine and there doesn't seem to be any issues with its "belly button" from the unabsorbed yolk. It's eating and drinking fine, but every now and then it falls over somehow and can't get back up. Other than that it seems fine! It's active, inquisitive, and so stinking cute! Will it grow out of this? What could be causing it to fall over so much? What should I do?

Do you have some type of probiotic with vitamins and minerals to put in the water? It may be a combo of the chick being a bit weak from the rough hatch, and the taped foot.
Someone who knows more about the potential issues with unabsorbed yolk will be along shortly I'm sure. I only just recently did my first hatch, I've always bought chicks until now.

It is drinking water with electrolytes and vitamins. It's also eating medicated feed. I guess I should have said that before. :) Thanks for replying!

There is Save a Chick it includes probiotic and all the vitamins there are two different types I purchased it the other day $3.99 for three packets one packet mixes in one gallon of water

There is Save a Chick it includes probiotic and all the vitamins there are two different types I purchased it the other day $3.99 for three packets one packet mixes in one gallon of water
I have Rooster Booster Vitamins& electrolytes with lacto bacillus. Is Save a Chick better? Thanks for replying. :)

I worked up the courage to put it in with the other chicks (I was worried about it falling over and not being able to get up and the other chicks pecking it to death.) and I went to check on it. While I was watching it fell over and then quickly got up on its own!! Yea little chickie!!! My daughter said she saw it do it earlier today too, but I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. The last couple of days are the first days it's really eaten or drank a significant amount of food or electrolyte/vitamins water. Maybe having that in its system now is making it stronger…? I hope. It's the only Swedish Flower chick that hatched and I wanted one really bad. :)

Back
Top Bottom