What's Wrong With My Chick?

xCaliforniaChickiex

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
I got 2 five week old lavender orps from a breeder yesterday, and they seemed to be doing fine! However I noticed later in the day, and today that one of the chicks is sneezing and making some sort of weird gurgle sound, however the gurgle sound and sneezes are very infrequent but when they do happen it makes me wonder. The other LO isn't doing it, just this one. He seems to be acting normal, eating and drinking fine, not lethargic or anything. He is having some watery poops, but it is a very hot day here. There seems to be a lot of dust around outside and in their brooder, and there has been a high pollen count in my area, I've been pretty sneezy myself. Could that be a culprit, or do you believe there is an underlying respiratory issue? What should I do? Should I give it another day?(NOTE: I've added apple cider vinegar to their water and fed them some chopped garlic today because I've read that it's helpful.) I'd upload a video, but he's stop doing it for the time being.

I would keep them in quarantine for 30 days minimum. They could have been exposed to something where they lived before, but also they could have been exposed to something at your place they might not have built up immunity to. Here is a good list of illnesses such as infectious bronchitis, MG, and other diseases that can cause sneezing and other signs:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I would keep them in quarantine for 30 days minimum. They could have been exposed to something where they lived before, but also they could have been exposed to something at your place they might not have built up immunity to. Here is a good list of illnesses such as infectious bronchitis, MG, and other diseases that can cause sneezing and other signs:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Thank you for this information! Very helpful, the confusing thing to me is there's no watery eyes, nor discharge in his eyes or nose either! I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Dust can cause sneezing.
Have you tried to get rid of the dust and see if the sneezing stops?
Their food is pretty dusty, so that could definitely be a culprit and they are outside during the day. He doesn't sneeze constantly, sometimes when he does it'll almost sound like a cough or gurgle, but he doesn't do that every time he sneezes either. I've been really worried about him, but maybe I'm worrying too soon. I'll see how he's doing today. :) Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

Their food is pretty dusty, so that could definitely be a culprit and they are outside during the day. He doesn't sneeze constantly, sometimes when he does it'll almost sound like a cough or gurgle, but he doesn't do that every time he sneezes either. I've been really worried about him, but maybe I'm worrying too soon. I'll see how he's doing today. :) Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!
If the feed is too dusty try wetting it some to make a mash.
Or even better look up fermenting it. There are a few good threads here about fermenting.

UPDATE: So far so good, I went out there and he wasn't sneezing! Only one normal sounding sneeze after scratching in his dusty food. Picked him up, listened and didn't hear anything! Checked his eyes and nose, still clear of discharge. :) Checked the other as well, and nothing out of the ordinary. I do understand that respiratory diseases can show up between 4-21 days, so I'll keep a look out. They were quarantined from the moment they got home as they are new chickens, so I'll be continuing that for at least 30 days just to be safe! I'll post another update if anything goes wrong, or if things are still looking good in the future.

UPDATE: So far so good, I went out there and he wasn't sneezing! Only one normal sounding sneeze after scratching in his dusty food. Picked him up, listened and didn't hear anything! Checked his eyes and nose, still clear of discharge. :) Checked the other as well, and nothing out of the ordinary. I do understand that respiratory diseases can show up between 4-21 days, so I'll keep a look out. They were quarantined from the moment they got home as they are new chickens, so I'll be continuing that for at least 30 days just to be safe! I'll post another update if anything goes wrong, or if things are still looking good in the future.
Wash you hands and change your clothes before you handle your other birds.
Read this please.
http://extension.uga.edu/publicatio...&title=Biosecurity Basics for Poultry Growers

Back
Top Bottom