Whats wrong with my chick?

Advines

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2022
Hoping someone can help a newbie....
I have a Saphire Gem that is losing her feathers but doesnt seem to be growing any back. She seems to be healthy otherwise. She is eating well, doesnt have mites, and isnt being picked on by the other chicks. Does anyone know why she doesnt seem to be growing any new feathers? I have attached some pictures. The last picture is of her next to another grey Saphire Gem the exact same age as her for reference.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 20220328_185018.jpg
    20220328_185018.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220328_185024.jpg
    20220328_185024.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220328_185358.jpg
    20220328_185358.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220328_185521.jpg
    20220328_185521.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220328_185521.jpg
    20220328_185521.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220328_185654.jpg
    20220328_185654.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 3
  • ARDnPUmQ-104169179.jpeg
    ARDnPUmQ-104169179.jpeg
    707.8 KB · Views: 3
She's losing fluff faster then it can be replaced with juvenile plumage. Also seems slow to feather out.(Trait, not an issue)

What protein content are you feeding?

She's losing fluff faster then it can be replaced with juvenile plumage. Also seems slow to feather out.(Trait, not an issue)

What protein content are you feeding?
We are just doing medicated chick starter. Do we need to add something else? We were doing a few meal worms but stopped after a few days because they had diarrhea. But that was several weeks ago and has stopped.

We are just doing medicated chick starter. Do we need to add something else? We were doing a few meal worms but stopped after a few days because they had diarrhea. But that was several weeks ago and has stopped.
Is it, 18%, or 20% protein?

You don't have to change your feed if you don't want too. I personally feed 24% unmedicated starter/grower for all my chicks. I also mix in a Ration called Farmer's Helper Ultrakibble, that's close to 30% protein every once in awhile(Maybe a week, or two apart each time) just in case they maybe lacking in certain nutrients, & amino acids. Especially with turkeys.

I've given mealworms as an occasional treat to my chicks before, never had a diarrhea issue.

Your peep will just need to be kept inside abit longer, since it's so slow to feather out. With a friend of course. Feed isn't the issue, it's just a genetic trait thing happening.

How old? What did the chick look like before the feathers or down fell out? To me that looks like a really fast molter. Chicks go through a few juvenile molts as they grow. They basically outgrow their feathers and need to replace them.

Some chickens are what are called fast molters, some slow molters. That's controlled by genetics and has nothing to do with how fast the feathers grow back. It's all about how fast they fall out. A few are extreme like that, really fast or really slow. Most are in the middle.

I'm only guessing that it is a fast molter but you might want to keep an eye out for future molting contests on here. You may have a winner in a year or two. I'll include a link to an old molting contest so you can see how bad they can look when a really fast molter molts.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-best-worst-chicken-molt-pics.1269409/page-15

How old? What did the chick look like before the feathers or down fell out? To me that looks like a really fast molter. Chicks go through a few juvenile molts as they grow. They basically outgrow their feathers and need to replace them.

Some chickens are what are called fast molters, some slow molters. That's controlled by genetics and has nothing to do with how fast the feathers grow back. It's all about how fast they fall out. A few are extreme like that, really fast or really slow. Most are in the middle.

I'm only guessing that it is a fast molter but you might want to keep an eye out for future molting contests on here. You may have a winner in a year or two. I'll include a link to an old molting contest so you can see how bad they can look when a really fast molter molts.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-best-worst-chicken-molt-pics.1269409/page-15
Love this thread lol The pics make my little pitiful chick seem a little more normal! :) Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom