WHATS WRONG WITH MY CHICKEN WHO POOPS THIS

HOTONE

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Peachland North Carolina
My chicken has had this kind of poop for over a week. Looks like pellets in water. Seems like she poops more than normal. She is my pet chicken and she doesnt roam the yard due to the roosters are after her all the time so she hides. When she walks in the house she immediatly goes to her food dish. Alll she eats is scratch and when she does go out at night, i turn the porch light on and she does her bug hunting at that time. Then she roost ion the porch. Is there someone out here have an idea on what it is and what should I do and do I need to feed her something else. Thanks all!!!!

Is corn based scratch the only thing she is eating?

Scratch is not feed and is not meant to be consumed as a main meal for chickens. It is high in fat and low in overall nutrition. I am not exactly sure why her poop looks like that but if all she is eating is scratch it really is not good for her and could be a part of the problem. She should be on a chicken feed - either a grower or a layer depending on her age.

Is corn based scratch the only thing she is eating?

Scratch is not feed and is not meant to be consumed as a main meal for chickens. It is high in fat and low in overall nutrition. I am not exactly sure why her poop looks like that but if all she is eating is scratch it really is not good for her and could be a part of the problem. She should be on a chicken feed - either a grower or a layer depending on her age.

x2
Scratch is lower in protein and other nutrients/minerals as mentioned. She needs to be fed layer crumbles or pellets if she's over 22 weeks old. The switchover from scratch to proper feed in her diet should bring back normal looking feces.

Last edited:
That is what my BR poo looked like for the past few months except with less pellets. I wormed the flock and she was the only one that expelled roundworms after the worming. She was also very thin as well. THen she declined and I am trying to bring her back up to weight. - could be worms?

Back
Top Bottom