What's wrong with my chicken?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lauren3321, Aug 4, 2011.

1. lauren3321

lauren3321 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Sheridan
    My buff orphington has been acting ill since this morning. She is panting constantly, limping very badly and just wants to stand in one spot. She isn't drinking as far as I can tell but did eat some yogurt and oats earlier. I thought it might be egg binding so I steamed up the bathroom but was worried with how hard she was panting that I was just making it worse. I also tried a warm bath to no avail. I can't feel an egg but I am not sure I would know what it would feel like even if it was stuck in there. I live in a crappy little town with absolutely NO vet that will even look at a bird. Pleas help! SHe is my favorite chicken and such a sweetie!

2. lauren3321

May 4, 2010
    Sheridan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    keep her inside the house in a darm cozy environment. Perhaps you can lube up her bottom and give her some more warm baths. Has she been making poos?

4. lauren3321

May 4, 2010
    Sheridan
    not really. she pooped yesterday afternoon but nothing since then. I went ahead and got latex gloves and olive oil and tried to see if I could feel the egg but there isn't any thing in there as far as I can tell. She isn't any better this morning, still panting and very weak. Anyone have a guess???????????????? Like I said, there are no vets that I can take her to and I feel really helpless!

5. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Try putting some olive oil around her vent, also go to "search" and look up egg binding [​IMG] hope she gets better [​IMG]

6. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Also. you wormed or sprayed her for mites recently?

7. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Also. you wormed or sprayed her for mites recently?

8. lauren3321

May 4, 2010
    Sheridan
    No, I have never wormed her or sprayed her for mites. Should I?

9. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I would spray her for mites, I am not sure about worming yet? What does her abdomen look like, is it red or swollen at all?

10. lauren3321

May 4, 2010
    Sheridan
    I don't think it is swollen. She seems very thin. Her vent area is swollen but there isn't an egg in there as far as I can tell. I am afraid she is fading pretty fast. I'm going to go to the feed store and get some antibiotics and just keep her warm. I will get some stuff for mites too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by