What's wrong with my chickens combs?

laknightster

Hatching
Dec 2, 2022
Good Afternoon,
My chickens combs are looking really rough. They are eating/drinking acting like normal other than their combs. Clean dry coop, they dig a lot, we live in Florida and the coldest it's been is in the 40's. My Barred Rocks I noticed looks the worst and now my Buff's starting to look the same. I've been searching through google photos to match and nothing really pin points it. I came across this forum, hoping to get some of ya'll's expertise. They have a vet appointment on Monday, but hoping you all might know what it is and a simple home remedy. Thank you in advance!
Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Thank you so much.
Willow1.jpg
Willow2.jpg
Willow3.jpg
Willow4.jpg

How cold is it where you're located? Is it possible they got caught somewhere?
Right now it's in the 70's, we had a cold snap a few weeks ago and I think it got down to 43, but I had them in their coop closed up. They are mostly in their coop or run during the day. And when I let them free roam I'm watching them like a hawk, incase of hawks.
Chicken coop.jpg

Is it possible their combs got caught somewhere? It's too warm for frostbite.. They look like scabs, can you see if there's any blood smears around the coop and run?

Laknightster, you have the same coop as us but you’ve painted it WAY cooler! 😎

I haven’t seen it in person, but could it be fowl pox?

Is it possible their combs got caught somewhere? It's too warm for frostbite.. They look like scabs, can you see if there's any blood smears around the coop and run?
That was a really good suggestion, I just went and checked their coop, I see this on the walls of their favorite nesting box. I thought maybe it was just poo smeared, but could it possibly be blood, it's like a blood bath the more I look at it. Starting to get dark for a good photo. Hopefully this helps. They have three boxes to choose from and all lay in this one. If it's blood and they are fighting over the one box how do I stop this?

Attachments

• Coop1.jpg
    Coop1.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Coop2.jpg
    Coop2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
That was a really good suggestion, I just went and checked their coop, I see this on the walls of their favorite nesting box. I thought maybe it was just poo smeared, but could it possibly be blood, it's like a blood bath the more I look at it. Starting to get dark for a good photo. Hopefully this helps. They have three boxes to choose from and all lay in this one. If it's blood and they are fighting over the one box how do I stop this?
That looks like dried blood, see if they're getting caught somehow

Back
Top Bottom