What's Wrong with my Cornish X?

new2chickens2011

Songster
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Hello,
My Cornish X are eleven weeks old, and they are due to be butchered Monday. However, today, I noticed one of them with its comb flopped over, not walking, toes curled, having difficulty breathing. I separated him and got him to drink water, and within twenty minutes he was running around again! They all were acting mildly like that, but seem better.
I suppose their weight is just too much for them. I was just worried that they are sick and maybe unsafe to eat? Will they make it to Monday?
Thanks for any comments.
smile.png

...sounds like your chickens are ripe. Time to harvest...at least, thats what I would think with everything I have read about meaties
roll.png

Quote:
with Cornish X u never know what they can get sick or die from... by what u describe i would say he is having heart problems and or hot or cold stress and would be ok to eat... when ever you process a birds just be observant if the meat looks or smells funny don't eat it...

Think the issue is that they are like another poster said ripe, perhaps slightly over ripe. Glad you haven't lost any previously due to heart issues. Many will flip before 11 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom