What's Wrong with my Cornish X?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by new2chickens2011, Dec 31, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hello,
    My Cornish X are eleven weeks old, and they are due to be butchered Monday. However, today, I noticed one of them with its comb flopped over, not walking, toes curled, having difficulty breathing. I separated him and got him to drink water, and within twenty minutes he was running around again! They all were acting mildly like that, but seem better.
    I suppose their weight is just too much for them. I was just worried that they are sick and maybe unsafe to eat? Will they make it to Monday?
    Thanks for any comments. [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...sounds like your chickens are ripe. Time to harvest...at least, thats what I would think with everything I have read about meaties [​IMG]

3. heritagehabitatfarms

heritagehabitatfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    Quote:with Cornish X u never know what they can get sick or die from... by what u describe i would say he is having heart problems and or hot or cold stress and would be ok to eat... when ever you process a birds just be observant if the meat looks or smells funny don't eat it...

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Think the issue is that they are like another poster said ripe, perhaps slightly over ripe. Glad you haven't lost any previously due to heart issues. Many will flip before 11 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by