What's wrong with my duck? Acts sick but no noticeable injury

Raea

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2016
This morning one of my male ancona ducks didn't want to leave the pen when I let them out and was just sitting in the corner. Assuming he was just being stubborn I tried to scare him out but when he stood up to walk, he stumbled and just layed there. I was scared he broke his leg somehow so I took him out, to no protest by him. I started checking him over and he was perfectly still and wasn't making any noise. Which is very odd for our ducks, they normally try to get free or at least quack non stop. I checked his wings, his legs, and his feet but everything seemed perfect actually. There wasn't any sore on the bottom of his feet and it didn't appear to hurt when I bent his legs. I set him down and he walked a little, so he is able to walk, but then after a few steps he sat down and hasn't moved. I have seen something similar when we had meat chickens who got too large to walk anymore. I know Anconas are fairly large but our Pekins are bigger and haven't had any problems. Also, he has an excess amount of drool dripping from his mouth in a string from his bill. I know this isn't a good sign but don't know what it means. Does anyone have any insight on what could be wrong? He was fine yesterday and there are no vets in the area. So is he just too large or is there something else wrong? If we did decide to put him down would he be okay to eat (which was what he was originally meant for)? Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your reply. Sadly no, he is no longer with us. I think you are right about it being toxic because I found a pot of rain water in the very backyard that got very dirty, moldy, and gross. I believe they were drinking from this. I emptied it out but should I be worried about the other ducks at this point? None showed similar signs this morning so I'm hoping none will develop especially since they no longer have access to the gross water. Thanks for your help!

Also, if you happen to have time, could you answer my other question that I just posted? I haven't had much help on here lately with any replies on my last few posts so any help would be appriciated. If you do here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134998/is-my-duck-egg-dead
Again, thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom