What's wrong with my Dutch bantam?? (with pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenCharmer, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

My porcelain Dutch bantam Gailieo has some sort of problem with his feather develpment... He looks just awful. I was thinking genetics... maybe its just something with the porcelain pattern? If someone else has a porcelain (any breed) do its feathers look normal?? Anyway, both of Galileo's shoulders are bare and red. Are they red because of infection? Or maybe chicken skin turns red after prolonged exposure to the elements ( like the comb and wattles)??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have absolutely no idea but two of my EE'z have the same problem and I want you to stay on the front post page [​IMG] GOOD LUCK!!!

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Sometimes a couple of our hens get that way and we have to seperate them from the flock to regain feather growth. It is caused (in my situation) by too many roosters breeding them..

Your Dutch bantam looks like a rooster though? Is he last in the pecking order?

I'd seperate him for a while with a female companion until he gets better..

But thats just me.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I dont know what the problem is with your rooster, poor thing, but I moved it here to Emergencies so you would get a better response.

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Wow i dont know for sure, but it looks like eaither another roo or hen has been picking at him, but seeing that it is on both sides same place wow that throughs things off.
    But yes when the roo skin is exposed for a little while it does turn a normal red coloring, like you would get a sunburn or tan but it does not hurt them.
    I hope that is what it is for you.
    I hope you find the answer on why they are like that. Most likely red becouse of being bald. It dont look like an aritaion becouse there is no blood spots or any thing like that.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by