What's wrong with my eggs???

This does not appear to be a feed issue at all to me.

How old is the rooster?

You do know that cocks will come in an out of fertility right?

It the eggs not hatching are shipped eggs then that could explain it all. You also didn't tell how old those eggs were either. I don't care when you collected them; that makes little difference unless you have freezing temps at night.

The questions should be:
Where did you store them between laying and setting?
How old were they when set?
Were they shipped? If so, how did you pack them? If not, how were they handled by the people who set them?

There are lots of factors involved in your question; and no adequate answer can be given until those questions are answered.

But that's all we have in my area.

A rental company that sells some southern states stuff, and the garden center that is a Purina distribution center.

I wish I could just mix in the vanilla protein powder I use for my shakes! lol
Ha ha ha

Would it be wrong to give the chickens a protein shake in the morning?
lau.gif

Think they'd like vanilla crème or banana strawberry better?
Any retailer of Purina Feed should be able to get you the game bird feed, If not you could go with - -
1/3 Flock Raiser 1/3 Game Fish Chow and 1/3 Grain mix.

The biggest problem with feeding a Layer Type Feed to breeders is that the rooster don't need the add Calcium, that add Calcium can add to low fertility, gout and other health problems.

Chris

They
This does not appear to be a feed issue at all to me.

How old is the rooster?

You do know that cocks will come in an out of fertility right?

It the eggs not hatching are shipped eggs then that could explain it all. You also didn't tell how old those eggs were either. I don't care when you collected them; that makes little difference unless you have freezing temps at night.

The questions should be:
Where did you store them between laying and setting?
How old were they when set?
Were they shipped? If so, how did you pack them? If not, how were they handled by the people who set them?

There are lots of factors involved in your question; and no adequate answer can be given until those questions are answered.

The eggs were stored at 65 degrees in an egg turner.

The eggs were picked up as they were laid and placed in the turner the eggs were no older than 6 days when set.

The eggs were wrapped individually in bubble wrap and then wrapped together in bubble wrap, packed tightly into the box with newspaper and shipped while our temps wer 50-65 degrees outside.

The eggs under my broody are also not growing and those were given fresh to her, not shipped anywhere.

The shipped eggs all arrived intact and the boxes were good as new, from what I was told. I don't know how they were treated by the people who received them, as that is out of my hands...I imagine that they were treated well, being free eggs and all.

Most of this stuff was listed in my OP but that should be all of the information you requested.

Thanks for looking.

They
The eggs were stored at 65 degrees in an egg turner.

The eggs were picked up as they were laid and placed in the turner the eggs were no older than 6 days when set.

The eggs were wrapped individually in bubble wrap and then wrapped together in bubble wrap, packed tightly into the box with newspaper and shipped while our temps wer 50-65 degrees outside.

The eggs under my broody are also not growing and those were given fresh to her, not shipped anywhere.

The shipped eggs all arrived intact and the boxes were good as new, from what I was told. I don't know how they were treated by the people who received them, as that is out of my hands...I imagine that they were treated well, being free eggs and all.

Most of this stuff was listed in my OP but that should be all of the information you requested.

Thanks for looking.

Sorry, was on my phone and missed one question.

The rooster is 6-7 months old.

Any retailer of Purina Feed should be able to get you the game bird feed, If not you could go with - -
1/3 Flock Raiser 1/3 Game Fish Chow and 1/3 Grain mix.

The biggest problem with feeding a Layer Type Feed to breeders is that the rooster don't need the add Calcium, that add Calcium can add to low fertility, gout and other health problems.

Chris
Thanks Chris.
You've been incredibly helpful.
I appreciate the insight.

I think I'll just be going back to the southern states feed and cutting my grains out of the mash.

6-7 months and breeding already? Goodness! haha! My male is 9 months and hasn't even gotten his full tail in yet. I'd say he's probably trying to get things figured out as well.

I feed Southern States and my fertility is simply amazing. I would like to feed gamebird feed, but for my growing birds, the legs just blow out. I have to stick to 18% or lower to grow out my birds.

Yeah. I knew he was young, but he was going for it and I was seeing the bullseye....I just figured he was a fast learner! lol

I am switching back to southern states, as soon as I'm allowed to drive again [just had surgery last week and can't drive]

The issue is indeed the rooster, actually he is just a juvenile: a cockerel.

Just because a cockerel is treading doesn't mean he's fertile. Cockerels often tread before they are fertile. Further, even when fertile, it doesn't mean much as they often can't find the vent of the female.

Personally, I don't use males until they are at least one year old. Honestly, I don't like useing them until they are 2 years old or older.

Last edited:
The issue is indeed the rooster, actually he is just a juvenile: a cockerel.

Just because a cockerel is treading doesn't mean he's fertile. Cockerels often tread before they are fertile. Further, even when fertile, it doesn't mean much as they often find the vent of the female.

Personally, I don't use males until they are at least one year old. Honestly, I don't like useing them until they are 2 years old or older.
That makes sense.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom