What's wrong with my flock?

roosterT

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Okay so i have 9 hens and 2 roosters. The hens have stopped laying for now more than 5 months. The two roosters -one oriental game fowl and the other a mixed breed have stopped crowing. They used to be best friend and crow alongside each other on the tree branches. They are all eating and drinking normally. It's summer here in the tropics but it's not that hot at all i can tell you but however it's quite humid out there where they are. What's the problem with them? and why are they acting like this?.

2 Young chickens died last month. Their feet was **** cold. Something surely is wrong. Help me on this.
One of the rooster crowed in the last days just once and it sounded like a roo crowing for the first time.

Last edited:
Things to look for. Hidden nests, signs they are eating their eggs, signs something else is eating their eggs, parasites internal and external, molting after five months they should have gotten over that. The roosters not crowing makes me lean towards parasites.

Things to look for. Hidden nests, signs they are eating their eggs, signs something else is eating their eggs, parasites internal and external, molting after five months they should have gotten over that. The roosters not crowing makes me lean towards parasites.

I've searched alot for hidden nest and found nothing. No egg shell anywhere. Can you please tell me more on the parasites mate?. I think this might be the reason aswell.

Since they are not laying worming them as a first step wouldn't hurt. If you want to know a vet can do a fecal float test to see what they have or if they have any. I don't know what is available where you are, maybe go to the Where are you, section and see if someone in your neck of the woods knows or you feed supplier. For external parasites examine around the vent, under the wings where the feathers are thin to look for any thing small and moving. Treat with an insecticide like seven or the like. I don't know if DE (Diatiomatious Earth) would be effective in the tropics and it works by absorbing moisture and humid air cuts its effectiveness down.

Back
Top Bottom