What's wrong with my girl?

My first thought was broody (they rarely eat/drink) until the "head" tilt.
How old is she?
Check her ears, do you see any irregularities?
When was the last time she laid?
What are you feeding her regularly?
Have you checked her crop, does it empty out over night?
Have you checked her for parasites (mites/lice)?

You may want to update your profile with your location, helps with knowing your time zone & climate.

:bow @casportpony @dawg53 @Eggcessive @azygous @Wyorp Rock
:hugs Thank you in advance for the help :hugs
Before she got sick I feed her layer mash from our local Co-OP feed store and mix in oyster shells

She’s definitely sick, not broody. The poops indicate she’s not eating much. The head tilt is the key indication of what’s wrong, though I don’t know what it could be- sorry. Is she breathing heavy? Does she actually sleep much if the time?

How old is she?

I agree with @dawg53 that she could have an oviduct impaction due to Salpingitis but that one leg forward and one behind stance is unusual and together with her twisted neck and that poop, my gut feeling is that she may have Marek's disease.

I think she is very sick and if veterinary care is not an option you should consider euthanizing her. If she has an impaction or Marek's, she will not recover from either of those because she is too far gone in my opinion. Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

A few things to check....
Feel her abdomen by cupping your hands between her legs from behind. Do you feel any fullness between her legs and/or below her vent? Check your healthy girls in the same manner whilst they are roosting at night so you get a feeling for what is normal and
can make a comparison.
In the photos her eye is shut. Is it both eyes or just one? If it is both, when you disturb her does she open both and keep them open?
How does her breast feel? Has she lost a lot of muscle and her keel bone feel sharp? If she is feeling very thin and she is no longer interested in eating even the most tasty or favourite treats then it is time to let her go in my opinion.

If the worst does happen, I would recommend getting a necropsy done my your state vet. It can be reasonably inexpensive depending upon where you live. Some are even free so worth enquiring. Some will even euthanize them for you as part of the service if you are able to deliver her in person, but obviously that depends on your location and theirs. Dead carcasses need to be refrigerated (not frozen) and shipped on ice.

I'm sorry I am not able to give more positive advice or suggestions. She is very sick and in my opinion will not last much longer. :hugs :hit

I am not sure I tried 2 epson salt baths and nothing this has been going on for 3 weeks if egg bound would she still be alive?
3 weeks is a long time.
We all learn life’s lessons.
You now have knowledge that will help you in the future.
It’s a call that only you can make.
Others will learn from this experience too.
I wish your heart peace.
And peace for your hen too.

How old is she?

I agree with @dawg53 that she could have an oviduct impaction due to Salpingitis but that one leg forward and one behind stance is unusual and together with her twisted neck and that poop, my gut feeling is that she may have Marek's disease.

I think she is very sick and if veterinary care is not an option you should consider euthanizing her. If she has an impaction or Marek's, she will not recover from either of those because she is too far gone in my opinion. Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

A few things to check....
Feel her abdomen by cupping your hands between her legs from behind. Do you feel any fullness between her legs and/or below her vent? Check your healthy girls in the same manner whilst they are roosting at night so you get a feeling for what is normal and
can make a comparison.
In the photos her eye is shut. Is it both eyes or just one? If it is both, when you disturb her does she open both and keep them open?
How does her breast feel? Has she lost a lot of muscle and her keel bone feel sharp? If she is feeling very thin and she is no longer interested in eating even the most tasty or favourite treats then it is time to let her go in my opinion.

If the worst does happen, I would recommend getting a necropsy done my your state vet. It can be reasonably inexpensive depending upon where you live. Some are even free so worth enquiring. Some will even euthanize them for you as part of the service if you are able to deliver her in person, but obviously that depends on your location and theirs. Dead carcasses need to be refrigerated (not frozen) and shipped on ice.

I'm sorry I am not able to give more positive advice or suggestions. She is very sick and in my opinion will not last much longer. :hugs :hit
I was afraid she is to far gone. I have never have to cull a chicken before I am new to having chickens. I will call my local vet that does necrposys and see if he will cull her. Thank you everyone

I'm, sorry we could not be more helpful for her. Local vets will generally be more expensive and less knowledgeable about poultry when it comes to a necropsy particularly. State diagnostics labs are usually subsidized to some extent to protect the food chain because poultry are considered livestock even if you might think of her as a pet. If you Google your state "Agricultural Diagnostics lab" or state "Veterinary Diagnostics Lab" you should find some information or there is a list here on BYC assuming you are in the USA, but of course, feel free to use your local vet if that is more convenient. Do ask about fees before you show up though as it can get silly expensive for such things and you don't always think straight when you have such an emotional attachment to a sick bird. Knowing all the options before you go and perhaps talking them through with someone close is better than making snap decisions when you are in turmoil. You may have a friend or neighbour who could euthanize her for you if you ask around.... I would want to be someone whom I had confidence knew what they were doing of course although I do my own..... it is not easy emotionally I can tell you, when they are sick.

Back
Top Bottom